32 page signature color/black and white

bbnelson

Designing a magazine and need to know the color pages and black and white pages on a 32 page signature?????thanks!!!!

i would believe that is the question that should be asked to your printer. Each press may have different capabilities. Or perhaps the bid only covers 8 pg of the 32 pgs. What is the configuration?

If you are the designer i would expect you could put on as much color as your customer can afford. But seriously if you only have color on a certain number of pages, logic would say the cheapest way to do it is to keep the color together on the same sheets of paper.

But we need more info because your question is so general.

32 page signature

32 page signature

I doubt that you're really printing a 32 page signature, unless it's a very small book or very large press.
My guess is that you're printing a 32 page booklet. On my press we'd print 4 8-page signatures.
Usually (but by no means only) if only one signature is being printed in color, it would be the center spread.
As long as you confine the color pages to one signature you can decide where you want them to go.
Make a dummy after you find out how many pages per signature. That's as simple as folding 4 sheets of paper (If you're printing 4 8-pagers) into 4s and tuck them into each other. Number the pages, and when you open them up you can decide what is the most economical way to place the color pages.
Keep in mind that this assumes that you're saddle stitching the booklet. If it's a 'perfect bind'
(probably not if it's only 32 pages) then a whole new set of rules apply.
Lenny R.

then a whole new set of rules apply.
Lenny R.

Then I still advise to talk to your printer. Perhaps they do have a large press. Sure we can produce a dummy but if the printer does things different, then your dummy is in vain. Find out from printer first

Then I still advise to talk to your printer. Perhaps they do have a large press. Sure we can produce a dummy but if the printer does things different, then your dummy is in vain. Find out from printer first

Presses can be vastly different. Here is a 32 page book from our Harris web press and another from our Toshiba web press so as others have stated...ask your printer.

Attachments

• harris.jpg
    harris.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,057
  • toshiba.jpg
    toshiba.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,779

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back