harlequin rip as a tiff catcher

mazengh

i am trying to configure harlequin rip to accept 1 bit tiffs and just output to the image setter without screening the files... is that possible with harlequin?

i am trying to configure harlequin rip to accept 1 bit tiffs and just output to the image setter without screening the files... is that possible with harlequin?

If the tiffs are 1 bit - there is nothing for the RIP to screen. The file should pass straight through.

J

the tiffs are 1 bit outputted from metadimension rip(tiff-b) the rip still separates each file to 4 colors when the file is in the spool folder

the tiffs are 1 bit outputted from metadimension rip(tiff-b) the rip still separates each file to 4 colors when the file is in the spool folder

Are you saying that the 1 bit tiff is separated into a 4/c by the Harlequin RIP? I.e. it thinks that the 1 bit image is an RGB or CMYK image?

Since PShop is a (modest) RIP - I'd start by outputting a small 1 bit image out of Photoshop to see how your RIP handles that. I'd also import a small 1 bit tiff out of metadimension into PShop to see if PShop sees it as a 1 bit or RGB/CMYK image. I.e. try to find out where the file is being misinterpreted or miscreated.

J

I opened the tif file in photoshop... it shows as bitmap under image-->mode
in the file info it says tiff

I opened the tif file in photoshop... it shows as bitmap under image-->mode
in the file info it says tiff

Save that bitmap out of PShop as a tiff and place in a page layout.
Import the same tiff image that came out of the Meta (the one you opened in PShop) onto the same page and place it beside the bitmap that was saved out of PShop. Send the page to your harlequin and ask for separations and see if you get the same result from both bitmaps or if one separates and the other doesn't or if both separate.

J

i will try to do this now, and post back... is there a specific way to tell harlequin not to screen?

I outputted a tiff out of photoshop and sent it to the harlequin spool folder.... it got separated...

basically it was the yellow 1 bit tiff that came out of metadimension. I opened it in photoshop and saved it as tiff again.

Monochrome is correct. You also want to make sure that you do not have any separations options checked in your SEPARATION STYLE (in the Separations Manager). By unchecking the boxes in the separations manager you will make sure that you do not screen jobs that have already been separated.

PS/M 7 is long dead. If you could find a copy you would have to have the hardware key and code to make it work.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back