Job Description suggestions

Tech

Hi All,
I have been asked to write up a job description for a Production Director position, somehow I got the feeling it would be impossible to find anyone with combined press, pre press experience, basically, all the technical knowledge, on top of old school know-hows (estimates, production scheduling and managing a staff).

Does someone with this much experience and full understanding of current DTP/PDF workflow even exist? If so, what kind of press/pre press experience would you guy expect to see at least on resume?

Edited by: Tech on Jan 16, 2008 12:41 PM

Re: Job Description suggestions

"Does someone with this much experience and full
understanding of current DTP/PDF workflow even exist?"

Sure they do. Maybe not a horde of them, but they exist.
But you can bet they're well employed.

If you're hoping to write a job description (the drift I'm getting) it seems you already have, in the first paragraph of your posting. It says what capabilities are required, yes?

What people put on a resume varies. Typically it is not a full (and rather lengthy) exposition of every talent ever acquired. In most cases, what appears on a resume is the estimation of what the job-seeker believes to be his/her strong points and/or points of interest to the potential employer.

If I was seeking employment and read your job description, I could say "yes, I qualify," and would likely list those job positions held in which those capabilities were utilized. Although, as other capabilities are not listed in your job description, such as bindery and typsetting, or writing software to facilitate print estimating, ordering and production scheduling, I would likely omit job positions held in which those capabilites were utilized. Resumes/applications are tailored to appear desireable to the job offered, not necessarily every talent of the applicant. Many individuals cross industires even, and have skills perhaps not directly pertinent, although helpful (auto mechanic for example, keen to repair printing presses).

For anyone hoping to write a job description, be to the point and plain, say it how it is. What capabilities does the job require? Just say it. Doesn't have to be pretty purple prose, it's a job description for crying out loud. Just list the talents required.

But be careful. Overdo it and you may have no applicants, or only a few, those brave enough to take on that level of responsibility. Except, given that degree of burden, their pay scale may likely exceed the owner/CEO of the company.

It really depends how big you are - the bigger your company the fewer the candidates and the closer you move to head hunters.

For production Director - you are most likely looking for someone with similar experience and so you dont really need to list what you want - they should know.
My view is that u should always hype your company and the job offer up - its easier to turnaway applicants.

So

Production Director required to take control of Very successful compnay , lots of nice accounts , lots of money to invest

Excellent money, Good Benifits Chance in a life time etc etc

Off course at the interview you should know what experience you want - but a General doesnt usually know how to drive the tank

Peter

> a General doesnt usually know how to drive the tank

That's so true... all the technical experience in the world says nothing about their managerial skills. If they're going to be responsible for a large group of people, it might actually be safer to start with a good leader (even with zero print experience) and then shape up their print knowledge.

> {quote:title=LoneGoose wrote:}{quote}
> > a General doesnt usually know how to drive the tank
>
> That's so true... all the technical experience in the world says nothing about their managerial skills. If they're going to be responsible for a large group of people, it might actually be safer to start with a good leader (even with zero print experience) and then shape up their print knowledge.

I hesitate to agree with this statement due to the fact, publishing/print is getting more technical every day/week/month/year. One may have good personality and great leadership, but if one's common technical knowledge is over a decade old, how does one earn the staff's respect? How does one communicate with CSRs whom are great at BS selling stuffs one may or may not need? True, a general may not know how to drive a tank, but he better know the capabilities and limitations of those tanks and his men on a battle field.

How does this sound?
"The ideal candidate will have pre press experience including, but not limited to, working knowledge of latest pre press processes, DTP production technology, automatic PDF workflow solutions and the ability to implement workflow changes."

I just think you will get a techie - which you are - You need someone who as a minimun has a proven track record in production management a (what industry you are)

Peter

> "The ideal candidate will have pre press experience including, but not limited to, working knowledge of latest pre press processes, DTP production technology, automatic PDF workflow solutions and the ability to implement workflow changes."

...but need not have any experience in managing people? I tell you Tech, technical experience isn't the only requisite to earning the respect of your employees.

Hi All

I have agree with both sides, A production Director or Operations Director really needs to understand technology, Im not saying he/she should be able to sit down and program or setup workflows, but have enough knowledge to make informed decisions on what technology is available and how it will benefit the company.

In regards to respect from the team, he/she will get gain respect by leading and letting people do there jobs (ie programming/setting up workflows). His/her Job is to set the wheels moving in the correct direction, then having his/her team focus on the task at hand.

Thats just my opinion..........

I think a good leader can come up to speed on how things generally work pretty quickly. He doesnt need to know every facet of CTP to understand what it does and direct people to do their jobs. Now if your a small shop and this person will be every man, then GOOD LUCK! Most successful managers I have worked for are great at looking at the big picture, organizing people and getting things done in correct and timely manner. They try to understand each persons responsibilities and make it all "work". I would hate to work for a guy that had to be into every little thing that everyone was doing. I work along side my boss now and there are those days when I cannot stand the micro man....

You definitely need an experienced person who will have “people” skills! I started many years ago as a graphic designer where I freelanced at different prepress companies, I taught computer graphics programs at a college, I went to work for this company as a graphic designer and ended up in IT where I help with PC and Mac issues with illustrators, photographers, designers, prepress, customers, pressmen, and any problems or color issues with graphics in production. I have watched managers get positions in this company year after year, the most successful ones have the ability to understand a person and how to utilize their skills, but there is no way to gain respect if you don’t understand the process either. We also have managers who are technically savvy but no one wants to work with them because they don’t understand people. I have listened to the employees that work for managers without “people skills” and it is amazing how little they want or will do! So I say some experience and organization but mostly people skills! If you haven't hired yet...best of luck!

I have a slightly different take on this.

I recently went on a small trip on a rather large yacht which my friend Robbie is captain of. He called the shots, and while he had a general understanding of the entire "system" - his job was to deliver the job, which in this case, was the celebrity to a location on time. Like any prepress job, yes, there were some technical decisions - but he was not the engine engineer nor was he the cook. He managed the trip, and this was more people skill issue related than technical.

So, I want to know more about things like "how many people have you managed" and "how do you deal with non-self starters"

Managers need to be able to delegate and not mirco-manage - most proficient operators do not always make good managers.

Writing the job description will be the easy part.

People with the appropriate technical abilities definately exist. The difficulty seems to be finding those abilities in combination with top-notch people skills.

We're currently trying to fill a position as supervisor of digital print, desktop publishing, and prepress. We're looking _first_ for demonstrated leadership skills but would sure like it to be somebody with at least _some_ technical skills. Doesn't have to even be in the printing industry, could be a network administration, a programmer, a webmaster, anything so we see some aptitude for technology. It's been over three months and so far no luck. We're starting to think about headhunters..

Lucky for me, I'm not doing the hiring. I certainly don't expect this production director to physically do any pre press work either.

There is no doubt in my mind, the right candidate needs to have at least working knowledge, capable of keeping up with evolving technology and implement workflow changes. Possessing great people and organizational skills is necessary, but let's not kid ourselves here, there is a very thin line between "people skill/management" and being a "bullshit artist". I had seen my share of the latter, hence I tend to favor technical skills... you either can do it or you can't, knowledge is not something you can fake or bs about.

Leading by example, share your knowledge and teach people is far more effective then being an armchair quarterback. That is not to said, he/she has to micro-manage, in fact, far from it.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back