Glue Lap for Perfect Bound Covers

dkinsac

I'm told I have to set up Covers for perfect bound books with a half inch head trim for the glue lap. This seems a little extreme. I'm thinking a 1/4" would be plenty. What are the industry standards?

not sure what the industry standard is, but our calculation is head trim (of text) + 2mm. This has always been a sufficient glue trap for any work that we do or that we have sent out to trade finishers.

We have always provided the 1/2" trim. You can get away with 1/4" but run the risk of glue smearing. That extra little bit catches any excess glue and ensures a cleaner end product. If it doesn't cost more, ie. changing press sheet size, then why not?

Just my .02
Greg

Pretty sure .5 is standard... but my previous employment opportunity had us prepress monkeys fit pages on paper daily. This lead to us having to make our head trims .25 or .375 sometimes. We also had an inhouse perfect binder, so there was a bit more control over these issues.

My new employer isnt so cheap and will give us the correct sheet size to properly imposed a job.

.5 seems pretty normal to me... but in my experience it has also depended on which perfect binder they were using. One of them needed the .5 and the other could do with less if necessary.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back