OpenType fronts used in InDesign and PDF

Karlroma

This is just a general question to the forum.

We have been taking in InDesign CS2 and CS3 files from a client, adding content or re-versioning and finally creating .pdf for printers overseas. We have been working with PostScript fonts and embedding the font used into .pdf from PostScript processed through Apogee X Normaliser without too many problems.

We are now having to purchase OpenType fonts for use in our work. Using OpenType should, I believe give us less problems when working in InDesign and embedding fonts in .pdf. Does anyone know of any pitfalls in using OpenType fonts and embedding in .pdf? We are producing v1.3 PDF for overseas printers as many of them cannot process PDF at newer versions. I know, this can bring potential problems but this is what we are having to do.

Also, has anyone experienced problems with using font utilities like MasterJuggler with Mac OS10.5.x? We have loaded PS fonts into MasterJuggler and found that some of them will not open and so are not available in InDesign or in QXP 6.5? If the fonts are placed in the Application Support area then it works in InDesign. We have tried using Font Book with similar results. If the work is done on a Mac with OS10.4.x and the above applications then it all seems to work okay.

Thanks for reading my long winded message!
Karl

Re: OpenType fronts used in InDesign and PDF

One thought. Did you consider turning all text to paths before coming out of ID?

Not sure how you change all type to paths in InDesign. But if you can then it will be worth investigating.

Even if you can, it may introduce a problem with fonts that already have stroke applied as a path.

Ta

Karl

Not sure about font management applications in 10.5 but using Extensis Suitcase Server with 10.4 and open type fonts with Quark 6 and CS2, PDFing to PDFX1a with no font issues. My understanding is though that Opentype Fonts are not embedded as open type fonts as they are encoded when exported from Indesign etc. Embedding as Open Type is a planned future PDF intention as I understand it.

Working with OpenType certainly helps in a cross language environment for document production.

> {quote:title=Karlroma wrote:}{quote}
> This is just a general question to the forum.
>
> We have been taking in InDesign CS2 and CS3 files from a client, adding content or re-versioning and finally creating .pdf for printers overseas. We have been working with PostScript fonts and embedding the font used into .pdf from PostScript processed through Apogee X Normaliser without too many problems.
>
> We are now having to purchase OpenType fonts for use in our work. Using OpenType should, I believe give us less problems when working in InDesign and embedding fonts in .pdf. Does anyone know of any pitfalls in using OpenType fonts and embedding in .pdf? We are producing v1.3 PDF for overseas printers as many of them cannot process PDF at newer versions. I know, this can bring potential problems but this is what we are having to do.
>
> Also, has anyone experienced problems with using font utilities like MasterJuggler with Mac OS10.5.x? We have loaded PS fonts into MasterJuggler and found that some of them will not open and so are not available in InDesign or in QXP 6.5? If the fonts are placed in the Application Support area then it works in InDesign. We have tried using Font Book with similar results. If the work is done on a Mac with OS10.4.x and the above applications then it all seems to work okay.
>
> Thanks for reading my long winded message!
> Karl

Hi Karl,
Sounds like you are working at a prep house, correct? If so, I'm guessing you don't have a closed font system. Which means you are using your own purchase font library as well as client fonts, correct?

I'm on publisher's end, we are still dancing with a mixed of ancient true types (PC and Mac), postscripts, and open types. The hardest part isn't deciding which font programs to use but rather how to isolate old and client fonts to only a few workstations. That said, we don't use MasterJuggler, but I do recommend giving Linotype FontExplorer a chance, I have found it easy to use and reliable. You must accept that font conflicts are inevitable if you don't have a close font workflow. Making sure you are loading the right font is probably the hardest part when you have a gazillion versions of say, Helvetica...

One thing I do to compare fonts is that, in FontExplorer, I turned on format (identify fonts into TT, PS or OT). I also turned on format detailed (this identifies TT as pc or mac, PS as type 1 or otherwise), here I look out for data-fork fonts, basically system fonts... I tried my best to keep minimal system fonts running... neither Quark nor InDesign is smart enough to tell the difference between system font or TT or PS or OT. If you have more than one of the same font loaded, even though it's different format and version.... you'll have a good chance of running into problems.

Knock on wood, so far, I have not encounter any issues creating PDFs as long as I can make sure my original source file is loading the correct fonts.

Hope this is helpful.

Native OpenType embedding was introduced in PDF 1.6 (Acrobat 7).

Leonard

InDesign - how to turn text to paths.
Commad A (Select All)
Command Shift O (Create Outlines)

Or, do it from the menu as: Type - Create Outlines
(Tenth choice down in ID3)

Chris

Hi,
The best way of sending files to clients you don't know is still to use PDF 1.3 and to outline the text. As long as the font is available with you this will work fine. The only problem is that the fonts are not editable anymore.
On the other hand you have to take care that all fonts are embedded in the file.
Saving the file as PDF 1.3 makes sure that all transparencies and all layers are flattened. In fact this is good but also here we have the problem that there is no last minute editing possible anymore.

Thank you everyone for your useful answers.

I am currently trying out Linotype FontExplorerX and have found it really useful. I like the fact that you can clear caches directly from the menu. I also like the fact that you can group the font types together, eg. PS, TT, OT etc. Your help has given me a few tips on better controlling and organising fonts on workstations and a better strategy of working with OT in .pdf for sending out to other countries.

Thank you all for your help.

Karl

Chris,

There is a problem with the "Select All" before creating outlines. You can alter layering, change type flow from runarounds and remove a colored background in a type box.

I have to take precautions by only selecting a type box at a time. It's slower, but much more accurate to watch shifting or color change.

Frank

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back