Mac "Connect To Server" Window Question

kdec_2

Hi, I noticed that when I connect to our PC (esko) server using the Connect To Server command on the Mac, I click browse, and I can use either "My Network" or "Workgroup". But I see the icon mounted on my Mac from the Workgroup connection is in ALL CAPS. I also noticed when copying to or from the WORKGROUP connection, the 31+ file names aren't an issue ( they don't get renamed ).

So I guess what I'm askiing here is what's the differance between the My Network and WORKGROUP connections?

And is connecting through the WORKGROUP a way to avoid the 31+ file name issue between Mac and PC?

Thanks!

Re: Mac "Connect To Server" Window Question

The ALL CAPS connection is over TCP/IP, and the lower case connection is Appletalk. Try to use the same protocol to copy back and forth and do not mix because you will loose the resource fork on the Appletalk connection if you copy back over the TCP/IP. Basically use the same protocol to copy back and forth is the best way to avoid this issue.

john

My Network should be an afp mount and the workgroup should be an smb mount. AFP being Apple Protocol Mount and SMB being Samba.

Oops, ha! I forgot about that other thread I stared, thanks!

If the icon mounted on your desktop is in all caps (and you are able to get around the 31 character restriction with this connection), that is an SMB (windows networking protocol) connection. We use TCP/IP and all our shares are in upper and lower case (AFP also has this). Although TCP conforms to the 31-character restriction, we are able to get around it with ExtremeZ-IP. As others have said, EZIP is somewhat expensive but it works well.

If you need to connect via TCP or AFP, type the IP address in the address field for a TCP connection and "afp://<ip address>" for AFP connections.

Hope this helps,
Jon :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back