Mutiple screening on coupons

smckinn

I am looking for a solution to produce 2 different line screens on the same printed piece in a CTP enviorment. in film workflows, we could double burn 2 different pieces of film on 1 piece. we are looking to do coupon printing that can't be counterfitted.

Re: Mutiple screening on coupons

is that differnt screen resolution within the same image - or two images with different screen res

Rampage allows you to screen individual elements on a page differently. Believe this was introduced in version 10.

EskoArtworks has had this feature so some time now.
If you are designing in Adobe Illustrator and outputting through an EskoArtwork Flexrip to your CTP device, then we have a plugin for Ai ( ScreenX - one of our DeskPack Plugins for Ai ) that will allow you to set your screens to individual objects in Ai. There are several other options within EskoArtwork products to accomplish your goals. http://www.esko.com

Kodak has an Acrobat plug-in called DotShop which allows oject based screening, calibration and angle selection to do what you are looking for. Makes some assumptions that your pressroom, CTP and calibrations selected are going to be followed, but it is quite widely used in our Prinergy PowerPack as well as Prinergy Connect and Evo workflows. Our Merge and Compare plug-ins for revision cycles support previous DotShop tags to avoid re-work. All the settings can be overridden on output if you decide the DotShop settings are not wanted.

Cheers,
Allan Larson
Senior Demonstrator
Graphic Communications Group
Kodak

We have a Acrobat plug in called Object Screening. It allows multiple screening in an image, page or flat. This works with our MetaDimension along with Prinect IS Screening, Hybrid and Stochastic.

Regards,

Mark

If you have a positive plate, and a Kodak Trendsetter, you could double burn your plates like you used to do with film. We will guarantee registration, even if the plate came from another Trendsetter. That avoids the software route, if you want similar functionality. Some of the cool features on the thousands of these workhorses was the accuracy of the registration, temperature compensation, and lack of need to calibrate the head, so you could trust it in scenarios like these.

I wonder how many other vendors get nervous at that suggestion on their machines for regular production since it appears everyone and their dog can do in software. You also could look into the Traceless technology from Kodak that allows sub-microscopic taggents to be put into the substrate, the ink, whatever and allow for it to be scanned later to determine its validity.

Good luck.

Allan Larson
Senior Demonstrator
Graphic Communications Group
Kodak

Hi Allan,

Do you need anything special for double burning positive plates or it's just mater of putting the same plate through twice with different screening in file?
Thanks

I've double burned pos plates before, works like a charm.

Just throw it back in after you burn the first image.

How can i get Dot Shop? Is it downloadable or do you have order it. Is there a trail version to make sure it will work for the issue we have? Will it work in a Nexus enviorment?

thanks for your response,
Steve McKinney

Peter,
Thanks for your response. I went to the websight and filled out the trail software paperwork. will I get a reply through email? How do i download it?
thanks,
Steve

I have made these coupons before in a CTP workflow. If you make the 2 pieces in PhotoShop you can save them as EPS which will allow you to save them with different line screens and different dot shapes. You may need to change a setting in your RIP to honor the line screens. I have done this using AGFA Apogee RPI

Steve,

Thanks for looking at DeskPack. You will receive an email with instructions on downloading etc.. Be aware that these requests are processed at our Main Offices in Belgium, with a 6 hour EST time difference. Hope you enjoy the products and the trial period. - peter

> {quote:title=smckinn wrote:}{quote}
>Will it work in a Nexus enviorment?
>
> thanks for your response,
> Steve McKinney

If you are using Nexus. You can use NexusEdit to create Object based screening.

Bruce;

Yup. Used to be that simple. Illustrator dropped support for sending the embedded halftone date with placed images. So, when it's flyng through the illustration and goes to render out the placed image it drops the halftone data. Rumor is it was seen as just a potential for error for getting odd screens in jobs that are a team design.

Seems extreme to me. We thought it was our RIP but after a good scan of the captured input PDF data, we discovered it's just not there. These plugins are just putting it back. So, to answer the original question, I don't wonder if you can't just save the elements as EPS with embedded halftone, place them with an Illustrator CS and fire it at your RIP. Even our ApogeeX 3.5 will do it if you set the flow to "honor halftone" and output from an older Illustrator. Just be real careful if you bust a file back. Illustrator has some funky reflows of text betwixt versions.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back