How to install Adobe Postscript driver with custom PPD file in Win7

P

pam_add

In versions of Windows prior to Vista, I can install the Adobe Postscript printer driver. It's called WINSTENG.EXE, and it can be downloaded from the Adobe website: Adobe - PostScript printer drivers : For Windows : Adobe Universal PostScript Windows Driver Installer 1.0.6 - English
During the installation process, I have the opportunity to specify a PPD file, which in my case, has been customized.

When I try to install under Windows Vista however, I get a mysterious error window with no text. The title of the window is "Severe" (see attached screen shot). When I click "Ok", I get the message "Setup is not complete. If you quit the Setup program now, the program will not be installed". The version of the installer I'm using is 1.0.6, which was written long before Vista came along. The Adobe website claims that a Vista compatible driver is available, but I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone know how to install a postscript printer with custom PPD under Windows Vista? I don't necessarily need to use the Adobe Postscript driver, but I do need some kind of postscript printer driver that uses my customized PPD file

In versions of Windows prior to Vista, I can install the Adobe Postscript printer driver. It's called WINSTENG.EXE, and it can be downloaded from the Adobe website: Adobe - PostScript printer drivers : For Windows : Adobe Universal PostScript Windows Driver Installer 1.0.6 - English
During the installation process, I have the opportunity to specify a PPD file, which in my case, has been customized.

As far as I know Adobe only made the conversion capability available to manufacturers - we ran into this difficulty with our Xerox Fiery equipped Docucolor 12, that it would not run on Windows7 machines, I've been switching as many machines as I can to Linux ever since to reduce reliance on Adobe and Microsoft, and any printer manufacturer still in business that doesn't provide updates!

The only solution to even using a Windows printer driver if one wasn't made available for your printer that I know of is to download the Xerox Universal Printer Driver, sorry I can't suggest methods of customizing if it doesn't do what you want. I would suggest 1st trying to install a printer driver and when it asks it gives you an option to download a later driver and hooks to the Windows website which provides a list of additional drivers since the windows disks came out but can take 5 or 10 minutes to update during which time you might think your computer is locked up if you did not know better. First check your own brand printer, RIP and if not I think the Xerox Universal Printer driver may be on that list as well under Xerox.

One caveat on the Xerox driver, on our Docucolor 12 it did not see it as double sided if you chose to let it automatically configure - we had to turn off automatic configuration to be able to configure it for double sided which it has the capability of.

Ken

Last edited:
Sorry for your troubles.

Sorry for your troubles.

In versions of Windows prior to Vista, I can install the Adobe Postscript printer driver. It's called WINSTENG.EXE, ...

Does anyone know how to install a postscript printer with custom PPD under Windows Vista? I don't necessarily need to use the Adobe Postscript driver, but I do need some kind of postscript printer driver that uses my customized PPD file

While I fully appreciate that you may have spent a great deal of time desiging a PPD that meets your requirements - and probably already have hear what I am about to say several times, I think it is worth repeating here - Adobe no longer supports this sort of workflow. Windows no longer supports Vista.

Create PDF files. Drop them into a queue. Configure your RIP / Workflow. This is how modern workflows are designed. That is what most vendors are developing, support, market and sell for many years now.

I would be happy to take the time to better understand what you need to accomplish and perhaps suggest alternative approaches.

from a Post by Adobes Dov Isaacs

http://printplanet.com/forums/miscellaneous-prepress-applications/21365-microsoft-printer-driver

There is no such beast as an Adobe Universal PostScript Windows Driver. What is posted on Adobe's website is something called the Adobe Universal PostScript Windows Driver Installer. This package is a 16-bit installer that has two functions:

For ancient versions of Windows (Windows'9x, Me, and NT3.x), this package installs the old AdobePS driver and associates same with a PPD of the user's choice to create a PostScript printer driver instance based on AdobePS.

For Windows 2000 and 32-bit versions of Windows XP, this package simply associates a user-designated PPD (PostScript Printer Description) file representing a particular printer model with the PostScript driver that is part of Windows 2000 and XP.

This installer cannot be used on any 64-bit version of Windows nor on the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7. There are no plans whatsoever to update this installer.

Currently, Adobe advises users to create new PostScript printer driver instances under Windows using the Add Printer wizard.

Note that the Generic PostScript Driver is really based on a very generic PPD file based on older PostScript versions and with very few options that would be useful for a PostScript device (especially distilling PostScript into PDF).

i solve it

i solve it

i take combantion of drivers and attached my custom ppd's inside her
and wala is work

anyone need it i can prepare ...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back