Qk 7 with DropShadow Xtension problem?

Just a basic page with a heading using the DropShadow extention. Imagine a subheading underneath that also without a dropshadow. Looks fine on screen. All colors CMYK. White type set to knockout. I make the PDF and the and it looks like it breaks the type into a top and bottom section. Hard to detect but it appears to put a TRAP on the type and it is noticable when I print it out.

If I turn off the drop shadow effect, there is no problem.

I was able to fix the problem by using PitStop and deleting 3 boxes on top of the type. Thing is, there are no extra layers or anything else odd in the file.

There has got to be a solution without doing this every time. I've never been a big fan of these drop shadow extentions in any program but its something I've got to deal with since the customer's like the effect.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I've attached a PDF and you have to zoom in closely on the white type starting with "Course Directors and"
Thanks,
Mike Gola

Re: Qk 7 with DropShadow Xtension problem?

It's because when it flattens the file it's making the top of the text an image at what ever resolution you have your flattener set to. The difference you are seeing is the difference in resolution between the text that is now an image and the text on bottom that is still text. You can zoom in and delete the image boxes and then select the text and bring it to the front with Pitstop to fix it or you can try putting the text on it's own separate layer in Quark and make sure that layer is on top of everything else.

Edited by: Joe on Jan 28, 2008 9:42 AM

I've done the one with the text on a separate layer in InDesign before. It works in it. Hadn't tried it in Quark. Sorry.

The Pitstop one should work as it shows in the attached PDF.

Hey, I appreciate the tip. These transparencies and extentions are just bells and whistles that me as prepress has to figure out a solution. If I find one, I will post it and let everyone know.
Have a great day!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back