Densitometer for CMYK printing

jbvanness

I am looking for recommendations on a densitometer for a pressman who runs 4 color process jobs. I believe he needs something to verify his color in his color bar are 100%. Anyone have a direction they can point me in as to what to recommend to my boss for him?

Re: Densitometer for CMYK printing

Jan
I am not sure how long densitomers will be around - these little spectro eyes (in uk money about £700) are cheap lock into a pc and the software on the pc sorts your standard out. - it may be worth whille just talking to a GraCol person and see what they use
Peter
<< mark u at the moment I also control my density by density and XRite is agood product
Peter

Thanks for the input. I have heard good things about Xrite and will point my boss in that direction. He'll have to make the decision money-wise. Some of them can be a bit pricey but seem like a necessity for good four color process printing.

Do your pressman a favor and get him a device that he'll actually be able to use and understand. Also get him some information on the importance of gray balance. Measuring solid density alone is NOT sufficient; he'll never see the changes in dot gain or gray balance.

A spectral instrument on press is over-kill and too much of the wrong information. He needs the simplest possible way to determine if the gray balance, dot gain, and density are within spec. Making it EASY for him to do that will get the device accepted and used, and you'll see a quick return on your boss's money.

Here's a maintenance-free unit that doesn't even need a charger:

http://betascreen.com/Products/Color_Densitometers/betacolors4-xpress.html

Larry Goldberg

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back