No luck distilling Quark 6.5 Postscript files

Re: No luck distilling Quark 6.5 Postscript files

PPD's are inherently device dependent since the describe a specific device. If you are running PostScript files through Distiller most of the information in the PPD gets ignored anyways. It doesn't matter which PPD you use, but you should always use the Distiller PPD.

To Bluskool and Ian:

We are trying to get Distiller to create PDFs from postscript files and continue to get PS errors. We're well aware of the file sizes of Quark PDFs, but right now that's the only consistent method that produces positive results.

I just want to make clear that we want to have Distiller make our PDFs. Thus far, that hasn't happened.

Thanks.

There were some initial problems with the adobe PDF 8 driver on some machines here when CS3 first came out. Make sure Acrobat 8 is updated and repair acrobat installation has been run (it is under the help menu in Acrobat 8). Also, older Adobe apps can cause problems. Adobe has a script that cleans out old adobe apps, but it also clears CS3, so you have to reinstall.

Try saving as EPS out of quark and distilling that. If Distiller won't process that file correctly, you know the problem is not with Quark and can begin the tedious process of getting Acrobat 8 to work properly.

Hi JT

I've seen some issues simular to what you're getting with Quark that we traced back to a problem font. The version of Courier that we had installed wasn't working well with Acrobat 8. Since Quark uses Courier for it's slug, every file printed with crop marks and page information failed. If you're printing with page info, try turning it off to see if it makes a difference.

I've also seen issues with older versions the free Creo Distiller Assistant plug-in. If you have that loaded, try removing it from the Distiller Startup folder or updating it to the latest version. Kodak gives it out for free and it helps to set the trim information to match the Quark crop marks, so I've found it on quite a few machines, even those not using the Prinergy workflow.

If you have access to older versions of Distiller you may want to try them to see if they work any better. I've still got a copy of Distiller 7 that handles some files better than Acrobat 8.

Good Luck
Shawn

I have seen Distiller error out on a postscript file, but when I select a different job option the postscript runs right through and a PDF is created. Have you tried different Distiller Job Options?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back