Working from home?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working from home?

Is there anyone out there who is set up to do prepress jobs from home? Our prepress department would like to allow each person one day a week to work from home via timbuktu. The ones at work would do the leg work involved...loading plates etc., but the one working at home would log in and do all the necessary prepress computer work and send the finalized pdf file in to be processed. I was just wondering if there are any shops who are doing this kind of thing.

Re: Working from home?

Uhmm, where do you work? Need some help? 18 years prepress...
    Seriously. That is the most innovative thing I have heard of a company
    doing in awhile.
    As the manager I login and output plates. Also, now, with 10.5
    I log in using "share screen" and run my 10 gig of Ram Pro Tower
    from my house. Pretty sweet.
    I would look into share screen if I were you

Comment

> {quote:title=rin wrote:}{quote}
      > Is there anyone out there who is set up to do prepress jobs from home? Our prepress department would like to allow each person one day a week to work from home via timbuktu. The ones at work would do the leg work involved...loading plates etc., but the one working at home would log in and do all the necessary prepress computer work and send the finalized pdf file in to be processed. I was just wondering if there are any shops who are doing this kind of thing.

I use Apple Remote Desktop to login and do some things so I don't have to drive 35 miles back to work. We have DSL and believe me it's not something I'd want to attempt to do for 8 hours. It's great for quick fixes but I would not want to work via ARD for an extended period. (Acrobat, Photoshop, InDesign, Quark, Proofing, Plating)
      Joe
      OS: Mac OS X 10.10.2 - RIP: Prinergy Connect 6.1 - CTP: Luscher XPose! 160 (2)

Comment

Agreed. However, share screen is incredible. You are simply moving your mouse in location a and
        it shows up at work. No large file transfers, etc. You make a 50 meg pdf on the desktop at work,
        NOT on the desktop at home.
        Chris

Comment

Yeah, that is how ARD works too. The problem is the screen redraw is slow and jerky as is the mouse. Tried VNC too. Same result only buggier.
          Joe

Comment

I used it the other night (shared screen) for an hour. I agree, unless you have major
            bandwidth I do not know if I could do it for 8 hours.
            My only point is that thinking you are going to do it by just actually VPN'ing
            in and double clicking on a Quark doc and opening that doc across the network
            then you might want to get a big ol beer and at least enjoy your 20 minutes...
            been there done that. (Soccer tournament 300 miles away with a screwed up job
            and me, with the laptop.....)

Comment

I can't work from home. I'm an office guy. My home is not where I want to take work. It's my cave. I've done other stuff and tried to work from home. I didn't like it. It's not my cup of expresso.

To be able to fix a file, give advice, answer questions, no problem. To spend 12 hours at home, "Working", I shudder.

Frank

Comment

We tried it with Timbuktu. It was very slow and jerky, but we thought perhaps we had set it up wrong and was going to investigate further. Has anybody got it working smoothly? It would be great to be able to get this working.

Comment

Timbuktu was problematic trying to get it to communicate over various operating systems (an OSX machine to an OS9, for example). Not unsolvable I don't think but we gave up. Currently have a satellite plant connecting remotely via Citrix to a PC here with Prinergy Workshop loaded. It seems to work well - all file processing is here and they just deal with the less than fast screen refresh, but it's not unmanageable. Internet speed bottlenecks are 1) file uploading and 2) 1-bit tiff downloads for proofing. While uploading or downloading they can be doing something else - Prinergy, Workshop, Preps, VPS all operate well with this workflow.

Comment

Good luck. High speed internet is still a lot slower than your LAN speed and it's still slow and jerky over the LAN.
                    Joe

Comment

Sounds like a great idea! Sign me up!

You should be thinking of a VPN connection and not a screen sharing or Remote connection. These are suitable for as they say remote connections to operate your computers from off site. Great for that and helping out when things go wrong. The VPN connection will allow you to connect to your office network from a remote location. Using the local computer as if it was on the remote site. You can then mount your server shares at home and load up you home computer with all the software from teh office. You might have to do some additional network congfig for your prepress workflow. Having very hi speed internet connections will make all this work much better.

Good luck!!

Comment

> {quote:title=prepressguru wrote:}{quote}
                        > Sounds like a great idea! Sign me up!
                        >
                        > You should be thinking of a VPN connection and not a screen sharing or Remote connection. These are suitable for as they say remote connections to operate your computers from off site. Great for that and helping out when things go wrong. The VPN connection will allow you to connect to your office network from a remote location. Using the local computer as if it was on the remote site. You can then mount your server shares at home and load up you home computer with all the software from teh office. You might have to do some additional network congfig for your prepress workflow. Having very hi speed internet connections will make all this work much better.
                        >
                        > Good luck!!

Yeah, I think trying to do remote access with the GUI would be too slow. Copy the files to home and work them from there. Then copy back for submission to workflow, proofing, plating etc...

The downside is licensing the software at home for each user.
                        Joe

Comment

FYI - As far as I know, EUL agreements for both Quark and IDCS3 now allow two separate installs.
                          However, machine at work cannot run at same time? Someone set me straight if I can wrong.

Comment

We've just installed [Logmein|http://logmein.com] . Best thing is it's free! It's best if you select the Java option to control your desktop when working with mac. It is a bit clunky but works quite well.

Comment

I am interested in this postion. I have 28 years experience in pre press supervision and would like to see what it is you are wanting to do.

I have extensive experience in Quark, Pagemaker, Freehand, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Acrobat. Also plenty of Microsoft experience with Publisher, Word, Excel and others.

Comment

UltimateDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)Standard FinishingKBA4Over
                              UltimateDuploStandard FinishingKBAKBA GTIChili publish4Over

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4016 users online. 93 members and 3923 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,151 at 11:36 AM on 11-17-2017.

Working...
                              X