Batch converting RGB to CMYK with text as Black

ecarbone

I have over 1,000 PDF files, all RGB.
Text inside of each PDF file is also RGB.

I can use the PDF plug-in 'Quite A Box of Tricks' (www.quite.com) to convert all text to 100% K.
But I'm looking for a way to automate this.

Are there any software programs on the market that can automatically do this?

One more thing ... the Quite plug-in has a single command: "Convert All Text to Black".
Well that's fine if the text is RGB Black.
But if my text is RGB red (for example), I do NOT want it converted to black. (I want it converted to CMYK red)

So _really_ what I am looking for is automated software that will do this:

Analyze each PDF ... convert it to CMYK with the following conditions - RGB text gets converted to CMYK text. If the RGB text is black, convert it to 100%K.

--
Eric Carbone
MOR Printing, Inc.

Edited by: ecarbone on Jan 31, 2008 12:18 PM

Re: Batch converting RGB to CMYK with text as Black

Callas pdfColorConvert CLI will do this as will PitStop Server. Apago PDF Enhancer can also.

If you'd like a demo of any of those please let me know and we can set one up real quick.

Hi,
if you want to do this all automatically you need a software that is capable of using XML, converting RGB text into black text only, converting RGB red into 100% M and 100% Y,
converting any other RGB color into the color you want, preflighting the file, normalizing the file and finally creating a print-ready-file. And you want all this without head aches?
In fact you need OneVision software.

Get a trial. Go to www.onevision.com and request for a demo.

Gerhard

Well I am still struggling with this.

I need automated (hot folder?) product which will:

1. convert rgb pdf files to cmyk, and
2. convert rgb black text to 100% k only

I downloaded a demo of Pitstop Server 4.04 (for Windows) and, according to the Enfocus knowledgebase, I need to use the 'Remap All to CMYK + Gray' Action List.

However:
1. my PDF file ends up having a grey background (94.70% Brightness instead of 100%... how did that happen?!?) and
2. my black text is 14.15% Brightness (instead of 0%, i.e. true 100% black)

Additional details:
- I am using the 'SheetCmyk_1v2 PDF Profile (not even sure what this does)
- 'Override General Color Settings' option is UNchecked

Anyone out there successfully doing this with Pitstop Server?

Of course you can. It's a bit harder with PitStop and the way it handles color. But it is certainly possible. It is much easier in my opinion to use Callas pdfColorConvert (part of pdfToolbox3 Server). And Callas is significantly faster as well as having settings unavailable in PitStop for the RGB to CMYK conversion.

Why must this be done?

If it is because you're getting blasting on an output device OR to save on colour clicks to a copier, then the solve is simple - invoke GCR output profile for your output device. ANY output device that has profile based colour management will have a GCR output profile that recognizes equal values of R, G and B and substitutes 100% K instead.

you're kidding right?

Let's be smart about how the conversion happens and not just kill everything with maximum gcr....

Another product you could try is PDFToolbox from Heidelberg. It has intelligent color conversion controls including R=G=B = K (with a threshold setting - very cool). Acrobat can access it from the Batch Processing window. Very nice product.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back