Will this Illustrator file setup print as intended?

Tech

Hi All,
We have a 2-color product but line-artsy images used has to be converted to 2-PMS artwork even though it's created as RGB files. Normally, this would simply be a duotone conversion, but the challenge here is outline has to be one color, and background has to be another. Keep in mind, outline and background are created in 2 layers in Photoshop.

My solution is to save each layer as it's own PMS color and saved as .PSD files then re-combined them in Illustrator. This solution retains artistic strokes we want, as well as separating the 2 PMS colors. Has anyone come across this type of file setup? Does is print correctly as intended?

Thanks
Tech

Re: Will this Illustrator file setup print as intended?

Print to what? Why not, if it's going to a print provider, just send the psd?

Doh, I forgot to state the fact these new .psd files are converted to monotone mode with PMS applied.

It's the first time I had to separate images in such a fashion and re-combine it in Illustrator, I just want to check here and be sure this works. I do intend on sending .psd files because I need each layer to maintain transparency.

Thanks.

Edited by: Tech on Feb 6, 2008 3:49 PM

Why not just create a blank CMYK image and put one color in the K channel and the other color into e.g. the cyan channel? You could even trap the image in PShop. Then just let the printer know which channel (K or C) is used for which PMS color.
(I used to do quite a few cover illustrations for books this way in the old days)

- gordo

Silly me for doing this the hard way. I totally forgot a recent stamping .psd file was setup in similar matter.

I'll convert original art from RGB to multichannel mode and simply apply the spot colors. Of course, remind the printer later as well.

Thanks Gordon!

Just be cautious, not every RIP out there will chew spot multichannels. I would rather use DCS file, single with Tiff preview and include for more safety the blank CMYK channels.

Hi Luc,
Did you mean save files in Photoshop's DCS 2.0 / Single / Binary? So multichannel mode is safer in this format?

Why do a DCS?
If you only need two PMS colors and the two colors can be "separated" out of the RGB image - you may need to do some levels or color adjustments to break the colors apart - then you should end up with two grayscale images. One for PMS 1 and the other for PMS 2. Put those grayscales into the CMYK image.
Now you have a CMYK image that will only output two plates. They image will look wrong but it will separate correctly. Just make sure that all text in the document follows the same color naming convention. Here's what I mean:

!http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/data/500/10692PMS-med.jpg!

gordo

Hi Gordon,
Regarding file format, either DCS or PSD, I don't have a preference as long as our printer can handle the files we setup and it's setup correctly.

Essentially what you are suggesting will end up being changed to spot PMS channels by our vendors. I have seen it done before but for the life of me, my mind was blank when I wrote this new thread.

I appreciate all the help and this is why I enjoy visiting this forum!

Regards,
Tech

What I'm suggesting is to deliver a standard, simple composite CMYK job to the printer. When it is output only two plates will be imaged - a "cyan" which will represent PMS 1 and a "black" which will represent PMS 2. Those plates go on press with the appropriate PMS ink in the units.
Simple.

gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back