Acrobat Droplets cease to function on new Intel MacBook Pro

hohmj0kw

I have supplied external customers with a Preflight settings along with instructions on creating and using Droplets from these settings. I recently converted to an Intel based laptop and the droplet functions seem to have gone away.

The settings work on a PDF while it is open. The Batch/Droplet function does not work any more.

I am running Parallels for my PC work. The behavior is the same if it is running or not.

Is there a setting that I can change somewhere to bring this functionality back? If my clients move towards Intel Macs, I will need to share this solution.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Acrobat Droplets cease to function on new Intel MacBook Pro

What version of Acrobat did you create the droplets using? On Mac or Windows?

What version of Acrobat are you trying to use them with now? Mac or Windows?

Leonard

I created a droplet from a non-Intel machine in Acrobat 8.0. This droplet and success/error folders were copied to my new Intel based machine to be used as a reference in Acrobat 8.0 on my new machine.

This droplet will preflight but not move files to the folders. I do get a summary report. When I update the droplet using my new machine, it ceases to preflight all together.

Any new droplets created do not work on the new machine.

I need to know if anyone can duplicate this problem on an Intel based Mac. If so, we need an answer as to why. If not, I need to discuss with that person.

Here is an old droplet that will preflight and a new one that will not. The PDF_X-1a_8.0.app will work to a degree, the PDF_X-1a.app will not.

Thanks,
Jason

While the droplet itself is "portable", the folder relationship is not. We use the Mac OS feature of "aliases" to track the folders and that doesn't work between machines (for local folders - work great for network volumes, however). This is why the moving didn't work when you brought it over.

There is no reason that newly created droplets won't function - but I will double check to ask if you are current on your updates to Acrobat 8. We are currently at 8.1.2

Leonard

I too am running 8.1.2.

I didn't expect the folders to link up, but I tried to see if I had any functionality with an earlier version after finding that nothing happens with droplets created on my Intel Mac. Again, when the old G4 droplet was saved by Acrobat to link up folders on the new Intel Mac, all droplet functionality was gone.

Are you running an Intel Mac with no problems? I had full functionality on my G4 laptop.

P.S. I have found this to be true for a G5 running Leopard. Very curious.

jason,

I'm running droplets on Intel based macs under Tiger. No problems. You're gonna' have to recreate the droplets on the new machine in order to steer to the new folders. The folder locations are not relative.

rich

What bothers me is that I have created new droplets on my new Intel MacBook Pro. Saved profiles from default menus do not work either.

What version of Acrobat are you running?

If you are running an Intel Mac, Acrobat 8.1.2, and need no software updates like myself, and are running smooth, we need to discuss our differences.

Thanks,
Jason

Could there be an Acrobat update for Leopard that you have missed?

Jason,

I tried it on my Intel Macbook Pro running tiger 10.4.11 and same problem. Maybe it is a problem with the plug-in. This would be the second acrobat 8 plug-in that works fine on all the xeon's, but does not work with the Intel.

Updater also does not work.

Adobe, you have people watching these threads? Are we no longer a big enough part of Acrobat's market share for you guys to care that so many of us (in the print world) are having problems with your software? The updater plug-in has never worked for me and has to be disabled in order for me to be able to even run the program. It has been like this since the release and has not been addressed in any of the updates since. It would be nice to know that there is at least one person at Adobe making an attempt to solve these problems.

Dan R.

We're running Acrobat 8.1.2 on 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMacs under 10.4.11.

rich

Rich,

Do you have success with droplets with your set up?

I have a 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 duo macbook pro running 10.4.11 and can't get them to run. There must be a missing component or something.

> {quote:title=Jason wrote:}{quote}
> Rich,
>
> Do you have success with droplets with your set up?

Aye, that I do.

rich

Adobe has provided a Hot Fix for the Preflight Droplet corruption when updating to Acrobat 8.1.2

Thanks Jason. I have been using one of the g4's to preflight which has been really annoying. Respect for Adobe is up a notch. They just have a few more to go.

Dan R.

oops. Spoke too soon. Now they quit. um...thanks for the link to the hot fix.

rich

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back