Proper separation of images on digital negatives

hkellogg

I am part of an educational graphic communication program that teaches the lithographic, screen and flexo printing processes.

For screen printing we use a Ink Jet printer with all 8 heads printing black onto film for digital positives. The software Accurip is specific to screen printing so it doesn't allow me the option of negative output. I have attempted to create negative PS files within Illustrator, then Distill them to PDF files. The separation process works fine but the bearers, which are colored Registration don't show up on any separations except black. While I understand that the Registration swatch is arcane and outdated, would expect any line or object that is colored with registration to print out in each separation. However, that hasn't been the case.

Anyone know why this wouldn't work? Just for additional info, I am using an old Lino 330 PPD to get the option of separations during the creation of the PS file.

Any comments would be most helpful.

While I understand that the Registration swatch is arcane and outdated, would expect any line or object that is colored with registration to print out in each separation. However, that hasn't been the case.

Anyone know why this wouldn't work? Just for additional info, I am using an old Lino 330 PPD to get the option of separations during the creation of the PS file.

Any comments would be most helpful.

I would not call the Rego colour swatch outdated, however it is appearing to be arcane when you are using it. It should not be that hard. It took Adobe long enough to add the registration colour back in the early days of the product when the competing Freehand product had it.

Perhaps it is related to your PPD, although I can't see why an old Lino PPD would be the problem. Have you tried the Acrobat Distiller PPD?

Have you tried using elements that Illustrator automatically adds when printing such as registration marks, crop marks etc, do they appear on every plate?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
You can keep you bearers (Reg. marks) as a spot color throughout the design stage. Then before saving the file with your neg option change them by selecting same stroke or fill color. This way the select option will not select other colors that you don't want as reg marks.

Hope this helps,

Michael Jahn-
Don't have Enfocus available.

Stephen Marsh-
I tried the registration marks. They printed on all plates but the items Registration did not.
Tried but wan unable to locate the Distiller PPD on system or on Adobe website.

Boy do i feel foolish. The fill on the bearers (the element that I wanted on all separations) was Black Registration but the stroke was Black. Guess it is a good example of not trusting the original file that is received for testing.

It still didn't work when I created it from Illustrator but when it was put into InDesign the image separated correctly.

thanks for all of your comments.

Hans

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back