Workflow question regarding fixing PDF's

Re: Workflow question regarding fixing PDF's

I agree Neo is much quicker at editing text than Pitstop. None of the "freezing cursor" syndrome with Neo. Also the Certified PDF support is good giving you a full audit trail of the changes made to the PDF file.

Actually I am demoing Pitstop. We are a publisher, not a printer. I haven't yet decided that Pistop is worth it for our purposes let alone Neo. $4,000? Wow, will it also paginate and walk my dog for me as well.
Really, we just don't see enough poor PDF's to justify something like that.

As far as the file size, I can see 200MB's for some people, but not for magazines and newspapers like we do. If I see something that large, I know right away that something was done wrong. I saw a file last week shed nearly 100MB's just by deleting hidden content in acrobat. Nothing changed about it at all regarding appearance, but something hidden was turning a 7MB file into a 100MB file.

Anyway, I am still checking out Pitstop, so we will see how that goes.

Rich,
As an aside, I did figure out that Acrobat can also convert text to outlines using the flattener.

Dan R.

Hello,
How about using the Quite Imposing plug in for Acrobat and enlarging the page size to what you want using the trim and shift function. On most occassions you can release the masks in Acrobat to open up the artwork to make the bleed area. Or can you open up the pdf in Photoshop at a res of 600dpi or higher and enlarge to the size you need and then export back out as a pdf file?

Lori
Melville, NY

*Lori Galteri said:*

+"Or can you open up the pdf in Photoshop at a res of 600dpi or higher and enlarge to the size you need and then export back out as a pdf file?"+

To do this automatically there QPDFRaster

You may end up with all the problems of PDF with this application.

Take a look here:

www.qpdf.es

Greetings

Quetu

> {quote:title=bluskool wrote:}{quote}
> As an aside, I did figure out that Acrobat can also convert text to outlines using the flattener.

That's only if the type interacts in some way with transparency. On a page with no transparency I couldn't get it to work.

I haven't worked with Neo, so I can't comment. I've heard nothing but great things about it. It can be a struggle to sell a $4,000 expense, though. I will give the demo a try. I didn't know there was one. Ain't PrintPlanet great?!

rich

> {quote:title=rich apollo wrote:}{quote}
> That's only if the type interacts in some way with transparency. On a page with no transparency I couldn't get it to work.
>
> rich

You need to add a small transparent white box if there is no transparency on the page. Then it will outline the text when you flatten (if you check the box). Then you can delete the box you created. Use it all the time.

You can do it, with the text selected, in the Pitstop inspector under the text tab. You can also do it with Global Change either with the text selected or globally to outline all text.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back