Count Color vs. B&W pages in a PDF

We are looking for a tool which will automatically count the Color and B&W pages in PDF files we receive from customers. Any recommendations?

Also, when we find B&W pages which are being counted as color, how can we convert them to B&W for printing in an automated way ... so that a file which has color pages interspersed with B&W pages will keep the "true color" pages as color and convert the "Process Black" to Rich Black.

Thanks in advance for recommendations.

Re: Count Color vs. B&W pages in a PDF

Whoa, why do you want to convert process black to rich black? What happens to type, then? It all goes out of register?

I don't convert many PDFs to b&w, but I remember using Acrobat's 'convert colours' feature to convert something into a b&w profile before.

About counting pages, a preflight application might be able to do that for you.

Dennis,
The Rules Bases Automation within Kodak Prinergy can filter the pages to determine if the page content contains colorants other than black and send those pages one way in the workflow, i.e. to a NexPress for color output. If if is black only, send them to a B&W device.

I know some front ends to digital devices want to convert black to a rich warm or rich cool black and that could be done if you are supplying PDF vector files (with the JDF as an option) to those machines.

Often you might want the same page to be run offset as black only on a CTP imposition, but you also need 10 copies sort run for instance.

All the page counts of course can be done as well...

Allan Larson

*CORRECTION/UPDATE of Original Question*

Also, when we find B&W pages which are being counted as color, how can we convert them to B&W only for printing in an automated way ... so that a file which has color pages interspersed with B&W pages will keep the "true color" pages as color and convert the "Process Black/Rich Black" pages to --Rich Black-- Black Only (100K).

Thanks in advance for recommendations.

Callas pdfToolbox3 Server or CLI.

The module for color, pdfColorConvert, can detect rich/rgb grays/blacks and make them device gray, separation black or K of CMYK.

if you'd like a demo please feel free to contact me.

I use pitstop to do it all for me. Detect rich black, convert all rich black to 100K and so on.
Its all right there in the action lists in v. 7 and those same actions are available for download directly from enfocus if you end up without them.
Its an all around good tool and well worth the 700 bucks.
-Justin

Software to count color & b/w pages

Software to count color & b/w pages

Hi there,
This release is to inform you about software that can count pages in a PDF
document, this wonderful program starts to be in sale this week for costumers
demand who saw the add on youtube:

YouTube - Counting Color And BW Pages in PDF (PCIT Ver. 1.0).wmv

because the website is not ready, we have put a copy of ISO extention on:

Index of /PCIT

It is completely free, and the youtube video explain more about this software,
if you are interesting you can go to ebay to buy the licence from there:

PCIT Counting Color&B/W pages on PDF - eBay (item 260654648266 end time Sep-01-10 23:02:24 PDT)

or you can search it under this name:

Counting PCIT Color & B / W on PDF pages

Note:
Be sure you have tried the trial version before buying the license because the
license is after having tried the trial version ...

thanks
my name is Alfredo
sales manager and customer service ..

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back