Prinergy and GMG

slehning

We are a Mid-size printing company and are looking to change out our current front end RIP.

We are using GMG Color Proof & Dot Proof to color manage our Epson proofing devices.

We are looking at possibly going to a Prinergy work flow. I was curious if anyone else out there is using GMG with Prinergy, and how is it working out for them. Or are there any issues you are having with this work flow.

I appreciate the input in Advanced.

Thanks

Steve Lehning

Re: Prinergy and GMG

Steve- we used GMG for years with our Brisque, and are now using it with Prinergy Connect. There are a couple options for getting files there. We opted to render separated 1-bit tiffs out of Prinergy, which are then re-combined in GMG. Unfortunately GMG seems to get confused if the files are large, or involve too many spot colors, and this method is SLOW. The faster option is to let the GMG "Harlequin" RIP render the Prinergy PDF's ...but I'd rather get a proof that 's rendered by the same RIP as my plates will be. I heard though that an upcoming GMG upgrade/update will include the same Adobe PDF Engine as Prinergy, which will solve all those issues.

Version 4.5.2 of GMG has Adobe Print Engine. It will be released in US very soon. Look at gmg german website if you speak deutsch.

Thanks for the feed back.

With our current configuration and RIP, we are sending 1 bit tiff files to a Xitron Rip, which then sends the 1 bit tiff file to GMG. And yes I know what you mean about wierd things sometimes happening to the composite proofs. Epson will sometimes print files in separations due to the files are not getting fed fast enough to GMG to combined them, mainley as you say large files.

The only reason we went with this work flow and Dot Proof, was because too as you say, we needed to proof the same file that would be going to plate. Using the PDF Ripped, file at the page status of our RIP proved to burn us. There were many times when sending it right from a page level PDF, elements and fonts would drop off. Going through the 1 bit tiff work flow was the only way to ensure what we saw on proof is what we saw on the plate.

Using Prinergy, have you or anyone you know, have had this happen to where elements drop off on a Refined page proof?

Actually we are hoping to be able to do away with the Dot Proof. I don't see where the advantages out wiegh the disadvatages.

I know of some printers that use Oris RIP with Prinergy. They send Refined, Trapped files right over to proof out of a 9800 using Contone. They did not seem to have any issues.

I am hoping to be able to possibly do the same maybe with RIP Server and GMG perhaps. Not sure.

But again I appreciate the information.

Thanks

Steve Lehning

Here is my two cents. We also use a seperated tiff image with Prinergy connect. It works very well in my eyes, however I can comment on two things. One, again with the large files, if they need to be rotated, the operator should do the rotating on the Prinergy side and not let GMG rotate it. On occasion, the GMG colorproof rip will misplace sections of the image if it has rotated it. The second item, which is under control now, is spot colors and filtering them. Prinergy, at least ours, has a specific naming convention and if GMG does not recogonize the naming style of the spot color, it will error out. They fixed it by putting in a filter naming preference. Good luck!
JeffreyJ

>Epson will sometimes print files in separations due to the files are not getting fed fast enough to GMG to combined them, mainley as you say large files

The Hotfolder Input control will allow you to specify the "Time Out" period, if for example you need the software to wait longer for the separations to drop in. Creating a separation patterns to recognize separation names, particularly spot colors can be tricky, but its doable.

Alternately, there is a 1 bit to Contone module for GMG that will allow descreening of 1 bit files. You might still have issues with separation recognition if that still need ironing out, but Colorproof processing time could be improved versus Dotproof files.

GMG 4.5.2 was released today.

You can get it for free if you have version 4.5x and a service contract from gmg support site. It's 374 MB download and it's sweet! with complete redesigned Rip Server. I was running it for the last 3 weeks and it's rock solid.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back