HEXACHROME colorsep

ar17

i am looking of doing hexachrome printing for offset printing; mainly 5 and 6 color separations. i hope to get suggestion what module or product to look into as i have been totally doing prepress works using cmyk and spotcolor(solid) for quite some time... i have esko workflow but hope to do the colorsep as plug-in to photoshop only. or any suggestion will be look into. thanks

Can it be saved as a DCS?
Or can each channel be brought into a page layout app, stacked and set to overprint?

best, gordo

MC_ Plugin

MC_ Plugin

i am looking of doing hexachrome printing for offset printing; mainly 5 and 6 color separations. i hope to get suggestion what module or product to look into as i have been totally doing prepress works using cmyk and spotcolor(solid) for quite some time... i have esko workflow but hope to do the colorsep as plug-in to photoshop only. or any suggestion will be look into. thanks

X-Rite has the Multicolor Plugin for Photoshop, it will convert images from RGB to Hexachrome or any other multicolor (3-9color) colorspaces.
You can then save the images as EPS and place in Adobe apps.

Conversion is based on Multicolor ICC profiles. Ideally you have multicolor press profiles of the press to produce the separations.
You can then use these same multicolor press profiles for proofing one bit halftone files from your platesetter rip.
For that you would use a proofing software that supports multicolor separations such as AbsoluteProof. Digital Proofing Resolved | Absolute Proof

If your inkjet printer has wide enough gamut (such as Epson 7900 CMYKOG) you will get a reliable proof for this process.

Esko also has the Ink-Wizard software for multicolor separations.

Hope this helps
Hugo Kristinsson

You can place in ID if you save as a DCS2, single file with color composite. Normally, I will use my Hexachrome profile in PS to create the #5 & #6 printer and just treat them as spot colors by adding them to a normal 4/C separation. It's a little easier to work with and edit, and proof. The proofs normally are out the window when we go to press anyway because we are looking for circus color, and the proof is not the expectation. As of late I have been steering our customers towards TOYO's Kaleido Ink Set. A larger color gamut with 4 highly pigmented inks that perform extremely well. I haven't seen a Hexachrome job in about 2 years.
Regards,
Todd

Back in the day, PageMaker shipped with a Hexachrome ICC profile and one could print to separations using this profile direct from PageMaker. The separation results were not as good as a proper Hexachrome tool, however the concept worked.

Stephen Marsh

I have also separated the Hexachrome image in PS and then converted to a 4 color profile. This gives me all the editing capabilities that you lose with a multichannel image, and we can use our normal plate curves. I created the profile years ago from press data that I had. I've never done a G7 cal with Hexachrome, but the profile that i created gives a better sep than most canned Hexachrome profiles. As I previously stated, we're not printing gray balance specific imagery, or fleshtones, or critical memory colors. It's used to push the gamut and produce 'circus' colors!
Regards,
Todd

I have also separated the Hexachrome image in PS and then converted to a 4 color profile.

That's what I hit on. Convert the image with the n-color profile, then change the mode to CMYK. Photoshop keeps all the channels and appears to keep them unchanged.

I guess vector elements would require a plug-in to convert. Acrobat, nor Illustrator, nor InDesign will recognize a n-channel profile. This is because they are all built on a PDF imaging model. PDF documentation states, "The number of colour components in the colour space described by the ICC profile data. This number shall match the number of components actually in the ICC profile. N shall be 1, 3, or 4."

So, until the spec is expanded, I guess this is what we've got.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back