Inner bleed

Re: Inner bleed

Inner bleed is bleed at the spine. Because the folded signature needs to be shaved as part of the binding process, extra bleed is required for crossovers on the insides of, for example, a perfect or spiral bound job.

gordo

I'm curious. For spiral-bound books, Inner Bleed is a given. But how
often is this done for perfect-bound books? Under what circumstances?

This subject came up with a recent project. Prior to that project, we
had composed literally hundreds of perfect bound books consisting of
millions of pages for dozens of publishers who had them printed at
many different printers. On none of these books was Inner Bleed ever
required or wanted.

Thanks,
David

Interesting topic.

We have bindery instruction to always extend inner bleeds on perfect bound books.
I've heard that many places don't do this.
I understand both sides, I am just not clear who is right and if this is just the "old school thinking" or something with more substance.

What are you doing in your shop and what are you doing to compensate for potential problems if inner bleed is not extended?

I almost always stop the image at the spine on perfect bound jobs. If there is cutting/folding misregistration and the image stops before the glue, it is usually not noticeable because unless you forcibly bend the pages back, the paper is parallel to the angle of view at the spine edge. I would love to always bleed past the spine, but most jobs seem to be set up as facing pages (usually in Indesign, thank God), and there is no way to bleed over the spine without changing the page on the other side of the spread. I set up the template to have zero bleed at the spine, and I usually change the inside bleed to zero in Indesign. The only time spine bleed would be desireable with facing pages is when every element either stops before the spine or crosses over it by at least .125 inch. When elements stop right at the spine (as they often do), the spine bleed would add sections of page elements from opposing pages that do not relate to the elements that would ideally bleed.

Does anyone perfect bind without grinding the spine (sort of like case-bound books where signatures are sewn at the spine, gathered, then glued)?

We use different glues and some lay flatter than others so the "white" none bleed could show on some so we make all of ours bleed into the gutter.

and yes, we do a grind on all of our Perfect bound books.

Edited by: DavidMa on Mar 5, 2008 3:24 PM

@ David Wolfe

Perfect bound books often require this.

Like many prepress and imposition functions, what happens when one imposes and makes plates are often not shared (as they do not need to trouble anyone to perform the process) or fall into the domain of 'trade secret' - where they figured out what they needed to do and do this and do not care to help a competitor (so they keep quiet)

I guess what I am trying to say is just because you never heard about it does not mean all your suppliers are not compensating for gutters.

http://glossary.ippaper.com/default.asp?req=knowledge/article/3

In the on demand "cut sheet" world of digial book printing (Think IBM, Oce, Xerox, etc..) they do not deal with forms, folding, cutting issues, so they do not need to compensate for bottling or shingling - many traditional book printers sometimes ignore this, and you can see the page content twisting (rotating) in and out through out a book as well as page content creeping tward the middle of 1000 page plus poorly manufactured case bound books.

There are many procedures that are often worked out between the plate room the press room and bindery to overcome, and unless you attend such planning sessions, you may not know what they do to do what they do !

I tend to agree with Kyle on this that unless you are practically tearing the book apart you aren't going to notice the misregistration if there is any.

I have had problems with inner bleed on a magazine I do work for. The layout was always done in Quark as facing pages but the customer only supplied us single PDFs. Any page that wasn't part of a full spread would always pull the inner bleed from the opposite page.

It is possible to correct this in Quark and Indesign by manually separating the facing pages that aren't full spreads before exporting. This, however, does take a significant amount of work depending on the number of pages.

Even though I agree that not providing correct inner bleed will probably go unnoticed I try to do everything in my power to make sure bindery has what they need to produce an excellent finished product.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back