using windows apps with dongles?

stargate

Does anyone is using windows only applications that need dongles to run in Parallels or VMware running on the Mac?

eg. CGS Oris, gmg colorproof, running on the Mac? I am not talking let say about ProfileMaker, Preps, Colorburst or Profiler etc where they need dongles to run but they are Mac and Windows versions of the applications.

Re: using windows apps with dongles?

Yes. I have done this with Prinergy server running in Windows under VMWare Fusion and Parallels. If the dongle is USB, it will probably work.

Cheers,
Rob

Which one is better? I have both and I have trouble seeing USB dongles. I am about to uninstall it and install Fusion as I heard it's better and faster.

I think they are pretty comparable. When one adds a feature, the other comes out with the same feature shortly after it seems. I'm currently using Fusion but both should be able to see USB dongles if you make the guest OS take control of the correct USB port. I notice that when I plug in a USB disk, the OS that I'm currently working in when I connect it will mount it first and to make it mount in the other OS, I have to dismount it first. So, maybe the Mac is grabbing control of the dongle before the Windows OS can. Have you tried making sure that you have Windows in the foreground first before attaching the dongle?

Both Parallels and VMWare have 30 day trials so go ahead and download Fusion and see if you have better luck before buying it.

Cheers,
Rob

I bought Parallels and had issues, so I also purchased Fusion. Now, I have both. After updating to the newest build it runs much better. Obviously there were some issues with my older build and Leopard on my MBP. Things are much better now.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back