Am I the only one who hates preps 6 and misses preps 5?

margadri

I waited almost one year before say anything, I hoped I would get use to it, but I still hate it.
I want preps 5 back. And for Intel.

I don't understand why you just can't go back to your Preps 5.3.3 installation on a mac. Are you on a different dongle, or something like that?

I run Preps 5.3.3 as a stand alone application to produce plate size pdfs that are then manually down loaded to a Trueflow rip for CTP output. Works great once you know the bugs, and when it needs to be restarted.

Al

I agree! We've switched from Mac's to PC's in certain areas because we can run Preps 5.
So did we. I have a PC with preps 5.3.3. It looks a bit different but works fine. Like I like

Last edited:
I can't understand how Kodak can buy one of the best imposition software available and let there engineers ruin it. Bring back Preps 5.

I think they outsourced it to China somewhere.
Kodak laid off most of their development team and spread software all over the world, Israel, China, India, etc..

I'm not going to argue with you - it IS different. But, Preps 6 is worth learning. In the latest releases, there are some new training movies in the online help. What specific items aren't working for you?

Roger

Preps 5 runs fine on Intel machines. I have used it on my Intel Mac Pro for years. OS X 10.6.8 made it difficult (but not impossible) to run Preps 5. After getting misled by a salesperson into thinking it wouldn't work, (perhaps he honestly believed so) I found a great workaround on this very site: http://printplanet.com/forums/kodak-systems/28909-preps-licensing. Look for post by Hopkins Printing:

Go to your Preps application folder. Inside that folder is possibly a .pwd file and a .lock file. The .pwd file contains password (product key) and dongle info. The .lock file is only present while Preps is open. If present, try moving the .lock file to your desktop and re-open Preps. If that's not present, move the .pwd file to your desktop and re-open Preps. Most likely, Preps will now want you to re-enter company and password info (make sure the dongle is attached).

Does this help?

Best regards,
hp

I think they outsourced it to China somewhere.
Kodak laid off most of their development team and spread software all over the world, Israel, China, India, etc..
Outsourced to Israel..., and Canadian guys from Van were not supportive because they were laid off "in the middle of the road". Every programmer will tell you that's much more easy to start the scripting from the scratch than to follow somebody's programm.

That is especially f*cked up because the Kodak-Israel connection is ideological and political, not just economic. Bad enough being a lowly end-user of their over-priced software, we're also pawns in their geopolitical maneuvering.

Preps 5 runs fine on Intel machines. I have used it on my Intel Mac Pro for years. OS X 10.6.8 made it difficult (but not impossible) to run Preps 5. After getting misled by a salesperson into thinking it wouldn't work, (perhaps he honestly believed so) I found a great workaround on this very site: http://printplanet.com/forums/kodak-systems/28909-preps-licensing. Look for post by Hopkins Printing:

Go to your Preps application folder. Inside that folder is possibly a .pwd file and a .lock file. The .pwd file contains password (product key) and dongle info. The .lock file is only present while Preps is open. If present, try moving the .lock file to your desktop and re-open Preps. If that's not present, move the .pwd file to your desktop and re-open Preps. Most likely, Preps will now want you to re-enter company and password info (make sure the dongle is attached).

Does this help?

Best regards,
hp

The issue is not Preps 5.x running on an Intel Mac. Of course it will. It will NOT run under OS X 10.7.x or OS X 10.8.x

I waited almost one year before say anything, I hoped I would get use to it, but I still hate it.
I want preps 5 back. And for Intel.
No you are not the only one who is wanting to get back to 5! 6 is a joke.
Just keep an old mac station around and keep it running.

One of the things I hate most is not being able to see Front and Back signature at the same time.I have to keep clicking Back and Front on the press run list.
Has anyone found a solution that I am missing?
Thank you

The best I can do is the keyboard shortcut COMMAND+F will flip from front to back and vice versa. Better than the point and click but still not as good as having the front & back side by side.

Here we're installing a Xitron Sierra, and in a webinar the imposition feature looks good. But perhaps we should consider keeping one of our Macs around with 5.3.3, as we're also moving to Mac Pros with Mountain Lion installed, which won't (unfortunately) let us use Preps 5.3.3. Preps 6 was completely different when I tried it on my PPC running Leopard. If we have to use it for some reason, I hope the 10.8 environment will be friendlier.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back