Quark 7 extremely slow!

Gregg

Hi, all.

Had a look at all the Quark 7 posts, and see that there seems to be some issues with CM, and transparency. I just loaded Q7 the other day and was literally pounding on my desk in frustration at how slow it was. From the searches I did, it seems I am not alone. Just wondering how you guys are getting along with the speed issues. Whether it's printing pages (even with OPI set to low-res), or doing basic page layout, this app crawls at a snails pace.

Not sure if I would see more optimized performance if I was running an Intel-Mac, but on my dual-processor G5 quark 7 blows!

Re: Quark 7 extremely slow!

We are fortunate that most of the agencies in town have switched to InDesign, and as a consequence we rarely receive QX7 files. In fact we get five times as many QX4 as we do QX7.

One instance of unreasonable slowness (on my dual 1.25 G4, 1GB RAM) involved a QX created drop shadow. After waiting five minutes for printing to finish I gave up and assumed it was locked up, my second shift guy was more forgiving and after 20 minutes the file finally printed.

We've also noticed considerable speed gains by disabling as much of the QuarkCMS as possible. It was taking FOREVER to "correct" image displays without any real benefit.

Hope this helps.

I work for a book publisher, and we have made the switch over to ID as well, although we still do a lot of work in Quark 4. After one day using Q7, I am going to make sure I keep a PowerPC Mac around so I can still run Classic and Q4!

Thanks for the tip about the CMS, will try that and see if it helps.

GinSu,

What did you do to turn off as much of the Quark CMS?

Thanks,
A Quark CMS Hater

Yeah, when I first loaded Q7 on a dual 2.4, G5, 4gigs ram, and opened up an 80pg full color mag, at first it seemed OK until I had to print. It took well over an hour. I called a friend and we figured that it was a native intel app. for the most part. I gave him my file and he opened on a new Mac pro, forget the speed but only 2 gigs ram. He printed the file in about 10 min.

Quark 7 also runs fine on a mac mini I have at my house with 2 gig ram,, it handles almost anything, granted I would not want to do this all day, but it was still much faster than the non- intel.

Good luck, but short of upgrading to the newer boxes, complex Quark 7 files will crush non-intel hardware.

john

In the Preferences>Color Manager, all check boxes are unchecked. Source Setup is set to QuarkXPress Emulate Legacy and Proof Output is to None.

You have to be kidding...have you run non-native CS apps on Intel Macs...it's pathetic and if I could even get around to printing it would be a blessing. I've had it take over an hour to import a single PDF in InDesign CS2! Let alone print and freeze all the time. Quark 7.3 running in native mode on Intel runs just fine in comparison. And Quark server renders *millions* of pages sans error and very rapidly spits them out as PDF-X3 so what's the big beef?

Hi Gregg,
We are running both Quark 7 and CS3 here, some older workstations still have Quark 4~6. Personally, I have not seen anyone here having problem with speed in Quark 7. The single common issue for us is updating older files to Quark 7 and have fonts that won't load correctly.

Have you been able to replicate the same slow speed issue on a different workstation?

We have 8 people here using Quark. When we first upgraded to 7 we were extremely slow. We installed the 7.31 update and it corrected that problem. We are moving faster. However there are other glitches as usual with Quark.

Does anyone using ID know if we can convert Quark files to ID? I have 2 catalogs, one is 1200 pages and the other is 800 pages, that I would love to convert over. Any help would be appreciated.

Any of the CS versions of ID will open Quark 4 files directly. But for higher versions of Quark you need to get the Q2ID plugin from Makzware. It does a good job, but the conversions are not perfect, you need to adjust text flow.

Al

Thanks for the info Al. I will definitely look into it. I would love to switch everything over to ID.

Not to thread jack, but we used to change files over to ID from Quark when we wanted to send them to certain shops we were dealing with. We didn't have Q2ID and it wasn't in the budget, but since they were easy to proof read, we had another solution.

We had old (legal) versions of Quark (6.5, 5 and 4). We mainly dealt in 6.5 until we started switching to ID, so if we wanted something in ID we would retro-save it to 5, open it in 5, retro save it to 4 and voila! We had a Quark 4 file that ID would happily open. I wouldn't recommend this on a large document, but if you have something small, and can look it over, it works pretty well. It actually worked better for us than trying to save something from Quark 7 back to 6.5.

Sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately we don't have anything prior to 6.5. But thanks for the info.

Hi, all.

Had a look at all the Quark 7 posts, and see that there seems to be some issues with CM, and transparency. I just loaded Q7 the other day and was literally pounding on my desk in frustration at how slow it was. From the searches I did, it seems I am not alone. Just wondering how you guys are getting along with the speed issues. Whether it's printing pages (even with OPI set to low-res), or doing basic page layout, this app crawls at a snails pace.

Not sure if I would see more optimized performance if I was running an Intel-Mac, but on my dual-processor G5 quark 7 blows!
The same was happening with my machine. I just upgraded to Quark 8 and the problem is no more....

I think it is Quark version 7. Version 6 had no speed issue. It worked fine. Once Quark 8 came out, I ordered the upgrade and loaded it in. It works "like normal" again. I couldn't tell you why Version 7 was slow in saving or completing tasks. But, Quark obviously got out the kinks in Version 8. But, I'm getting frustrated now in that the program quits unexpectedly on occasion. I've got ID and think I'm going to be switching soon. I'll let you know how things roll after running Quark 8 for a while.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back