Can't print from Quack 7.31

Soilworker

Oh boy... I haven't touched Quack 7 since alpha/beta testing until now and I have to say that Quark has not let me down.... only because I expect nothing but crap. I can't print anything at all. I keep getting an "unknown error [-51]" as soon as I choose Print from the file menu. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks,
Soilworker

Re: Can't print from Quack 7.31

According to an article I found, it may have something to do with permissions. Try repairing your permissions and see if that helps. Another article said to save the document back to a previous version of Quark and then re-open it and save.

If that doesn't work, open a brand new Quark document and view both the new document and the one you are trying to print in thumbnail mode. Drag the thumbnails from the original document to the newly created document. This is a way of easily building a new document in an attempt to remove corruption.

I also read that while holding down the option key, go to File -> Open and select the document you are having trouble with and open it. After the document opens, release the option key. This is supposed to help rebuild the document while removing file level corruption.

Hope this helps!
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

I'll give the permissions a try. I've had success doing a thumbnail drag in the past but in this case there is nothing to drag. I can't even print a brand new blank document created in Q7

Thanks for your input.

Soilworker

Edited by: Soilworker on Mar 17, 2008 1:30 PM

Well there I went and got my hopes up just to be let down. Thanks Quark! I repaired permissions and still nothing... can't print a single thing. Everything else appears to work, though.... at least so far. I have a feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Any other ideas? I know that while I was doing alpha/beta testing that I had issues running Q7 along with 6 and 5 Passport on the same machine.... which I'm still doing now. The issues don't appear to be the same but perhaps I can't rule that out as being the issue.

Try, creating a brand new Mac OS X user account with administrative privileges, open Quark 7 while logged into the newly created account and see if you can print your documents. If that works, return to your main user account and move the Quark preferences folder to the desktop, open Quark and try to print a document.

If it still doesn't work, return to your main account, delete the new account, then try moving your Quark preferences folder to the desktop, open Quark and see if that works.

If that doesn't work, I think I am out of ideas.

Hope THIS helps,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

Can't print a blank doc? Perhaps a problem with a PPD? Does this error to all printers or only one? If it errors to all then it probably isn't a PPD issue.

I'm not certain how to fix a PPD issue, short of removing and re-creating the printer using Printer Setup Utility.

Or may try turning on "Use Rosetta" for QX7 if on an Intel box.

Good Luck.

I was just foolin' around trying things and it turns out an old trick I used to use worked... granted this trick worked in v5 Passport and I haven't used it much in a couple of years. I just trashed the plist file and relaunched then voila!

Wow! Great performance Quark!... first time I go to use v7 on a non-testing basis and I already have to trash my prefs just so I can do the simplest of things.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back