Vellum or Laser acetate acceptable instead of film for Foil/embossing work?

zoran

Hi,

We send files to our diemakers without problem but foil/embossing is still done old way and it hasn't evolved.
Usually, we produce B&W film and send to embossing/foiling company but our imagesetter is down and we are looking at alternatives.
Does anyone have experience related to acetate and vellum in printing/prepress?
I know that vellum and acetate do not have enough density like film, but they should be usable for B&W work.
One test we did on clear acetate was refused by outside supplier as not having enough density.

I've read that for screen printing, both vellum and acetate are more than adequate.
Keep in mind that we don't care about registration or screen, it's solid black one separation.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Vellum or Laser acetate acceptable instead of film for Foil/embossing work?

Zoran,

We have had the same problem. The foil & embossing guys do not want to modernize. They even told us that if we provided an electronic file for these items, they would farm out the file to another shop that still uses and can produce film (fit?). We still do thank goodness so our films fit our ctp plates and the printed jobs but I was surprised at their attitude. OTOH, other foil stamp and embossers do accept digital files, usually ai.eps, dxf or now even pdf. So I am thinking that our current foiler is at risk big time.

I have seen inkjet results on engineering drafting film (Polycrom I think) and it is indeed weaker but may work. We use this frostedmylar in our Cad room.
That's all I can contribute, sorry.

John W

Re: Vellum or Laser acetate acceptable instead of film for Foil/embossing work?

Thanks John for helpful answer.
I certainly hope they evolve since I don't see us investing any more money in film, it's game over.

I read some tips on vellum and if sprayed with Krylone, it becomes denser/darker so it should work.
Fit problem is solvable if you "pre-bake" vellum.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back