fonts - embed complete or subset?

Re: fonts - embed complete or subset?

We will continue to make edits if the press is down and Pitstop will do the job. How many will honestly stop the presses for a simple edit and tell the customer, sometimes many layers removed, to supply a new file. There are obvious other risks with receiving a new file when you have already fixed all of the other problems. I want to know who would actually stop a a huge job while having the ability to fix it. This font editing thing has been a thorn for years and I believe the the Enfocus guys obviously feel the same. We need to be able to do last minute edits, bottom line, if not the bottom line will show.

Yeah...the whole font thing is crap.
Someone should buy the whole bunch and just make it simple. (Adobe)

Why should we be worrying about fonts...we have bigger issues.
I embed them all...just like Chris_r
Just so if I need to edit....

I hate PCs for the most part....but you install all your fonts and are done. No font manager...I guess. Never used a PC for prepress besides making MS office files PDFs so I can pitstop them.

Just a big mess of crap...

> {quote:title=seejay wrote:}{quote}
> I have always believed that the right way to go when advising clients to create PDF's is to subset them. This week, I have experienced a problem where a subset font has 'dropped out' on the page and didnt print - strangely the problem only affected some of the characters i.e. some letters printed some dissappeared. We didn't notice the problem in prepress, it was printed, but fortunately the missing text was picked up prior to binding.
>
> When looking at the file, I could see no obvious reason why it would drop out, so reported it to my RIP supplier as a tech issue - they have responded by claiming that the reason the font dropped out is because it is subsetted and not embedded as a complete font set. They elaborated and claimed that subsetting fonts is not standard in our industry - I think this explanation is pants!! any thoughts out theref?

How did you process the file? Print from Acrobat? Multipage document? I've had this happen before in a multipage document printed from Acrobat if, in the Advanced settings, Postscript Options, Font and Resource Policy it is set to "Send at Start" or "Send by Range" I might have certain characters drop out on any page after Pg 1 of the multipage PDF. Changing it to "Send for Each Page" has cured this completely.

Joe

Depends on whether you use the English version or the U.S. version. 'Misspelt' is the English version.

'Misspelled' is generallly used in the U.S.

Faith

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back