Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF Creation from Indesign-- Export vs Postscript -Distiller

Hi all:

I would like to put a question out for all to comment on. I am wondering what the current thinking is on PDF creation from Native applications like Indesign CS3. What is the best way to make PDF's?

1) Export from Indesign using a variation of the built in PDF/X-1a preset, Flattening transparancy (avoiding postscript altogether)
    2) Create postscript (Flattening transparency) from a queue program or by printing to disk and then using Distiller
    3) Using a workflow solution such as Xinet Full Press, or other to create a PDF.

Anyway I would like to here everyone's ideas on this.

Thanks,
    Pete

Re: PDF Creation from Indesign-- Export vs Postscript -Distiller

>Exporting a PDF file directly from InDesign only seems to work for four color process jobs. It creates a composite file that turns anything with a spot color (like a duotone) back to CMYK.

Not correct. In the export dialog, select the Advanced tab/section and in the color area use the Color pup up to select Leave Unchanged. This produces a composite CMYK + Spot Colors pdf. Confirm the result by viewing in Acrobat Professional using Separations Preview.

Al

Comment

There is no need to choose "Leave Color Unchanged"
      Convert to Destination - (some CMYK profile)
      will preserve spot colors.
      If your spots are going to CMYK - you probably have another problem you are not taking care of up front.
      We would need to see some files, links and presets to be sure.

MSD

Comment

Point well taken. I was trying to prevent all conversions, which as you point out can better be done by converting to the same document color profile, and no conversion takes place (assuming no RGB colors in the file).

Al

Comment

I'd agree with Al and MSD.
          Getting back to Pete's question, I'd say the best option is to Export form INDD as PDF v1.4 or greater, if your RIP can support it (live transparency, no flattening)

Comment

Al,

I am looking in my advanced tab section of InDesign when exporting a PDF file (see attached screen shot) and I do not see the Leave Color Unchanged pop-up menu. Are you sure you are not referring to the Output Tab to select Leave Color Unchanged or are you using a different version of InDesign besides CS3?

Edited by: harry featherstone on Apr 12, 2008 1:45 PM
            Prepression
            http://exploringdigitalprepress.blogspot.com

Comment

harry,

That's right. It is not in the same place in all versions of ID. I based my post on IDCS, which is what I have at hand on this mac. Your Output tab screenshot shows it correctly in that version of ID. It's the same pup up.

Al

Comment

What you described will ONLY happen if you happen to have the Color
                management/conversion options enabled in the Export dialog. You can have
                the same result happen with Distiller if you use the equivalent choices
                there.

Don't blame the process....Check your settings!

And Adobe HIGHLY recommends the use of Direct Export of PDF. It will ALWAYS
                produces the highest fidelity PDF from the original content. Any
                production of PDF via Distiller is a LOSSY operation.

Leonard Rosenthol
                Adobe Systems

Comment

Hi Leonard,
                  Most of your posts recommend generating press-ready PDF within CS3 applications and against using Distiller. So here's a few questions that I have been pondering...

1) Has Adobe been untruthful regarding the use of Distiller in the past or has there been changes behind the scene that the public isn't inform about?

2) Distiller has been use for how many years now and proven to work? It is still included with the suite... what's the purpose of including a the Distiller as standalone app and not just make it a plug-in and hide it behind the scene? So now PDF via Distiller is LOSSY? Where's the official word on this?

We are operating in a world where if things work then it's correct. Regardless methods, if I'm to start enforcing PDF through Export function within CS3 apps, we like to have official documents to back this up.

Thanks.

Comment

Those are good questions. Leonard will, no doubt, give you a more complete response, but I think it will include a clarification that the lossy part is the postscript step rather than the distillation process. I also look forward to his response.

PDF is much more capable today than when Distiller was first unveiled, and it can contain more information than is possible in postscript. That's the key. In the mean time here are some links to official information on the subject:

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/ac...kflw053107.pdf

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/cr...transguide.pdf

And here is a link to an official presentation on the subject:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.3bbabb8a

Al

Comment

So, If I could, may I expound on this question a bit?
                      If I am setting up a customer to send me hi-res PDFs out of CS3 (INDD) should I have them as PDF 1.4 (flattened) or PDF 1.7 (not flattened)?
                      To be honest, I have used Export as a 1.4 for the past 3 years. Only had 5 pdfs that I had to go back into and flatten differently.
                      However, those 5 have been in the past 2 months - INTERNAL department - don't it figure!
                      Also, part of my hesitation is that my customers (sending the pdf) are not as savy as the prepress room is.
                      Does 1.7 cover my butt more than 1.4??
                      Thanks

Comment

If I am setting up a customer to send me hi-res PDFs out of CS3 (INDD) should I have them as PDF 1.4 (flattened) or PDF 1.7 (not flattened)?
                        ------
                        I was under the impression Acrobat 5 did retain transparency
                        and on would need to go down to
                        PDF 1.3 to flatten a file.

MSD

Comment

I wanted to summarize where we are in this discussion.

1) We all agree that it is best practice to use the export function vs any other method to make a pdf from Indesign

2) It seems a little unclear on best practice to move away from PDF/X-1a (PDF 1.3 with flattened Transparency) or not?
                          Most print houses and publications still request PDF/X1-a.

3) PDF 1.3 flattens Transparency, anything higher leaves the Transparency live, which is ok for most new rips but might cause problems for older ones.

Comments????

Comment

@kaiserwilhelm,

To my way of thinking, how much you need to cover your butt depends primarily on what rip capability you have available. The less capable the rip, the more you need a lower pdf version/standard in order to lessen your exposure to problems. On one hand, asking customers for a higher pdf version exposes your butt if you lack the rip capability to handle it. On the other hand, depending on the content of native files involved, a lower pdf could be a less faithful one.

So if you have the resources, upgrade to the most modern rip and encourage customers to use the highest level pdf standard available.

http://indesignsecrets.com/pdf-print...cy-effects.php

@MSD,

That's correct. Pdf 1.4, Acrobat 5 and later do support live transparency. "Transparency is flattened on exporting to a format that doesn’t support live transparency (such as PDF 1.3, PostScript, and EPS) and on printing files." This from: (http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/cr...transguide.pdf, page 3)

Al

Edited by: Al Ferrari on Apr 14, 2008 10:01 PM

Comment

Just a quick addendum . . .
                              One of the "switches" that cause 4/C PDF's to be made from PMS pieces is the "simulate overprint" checkbox.
                              A client will appreciate the "look" in a proof, because it will help show the wonderful design elements doing there thing, but the capability of the color engine(?) to know the interactions of all PMS colors is limted. So, all colors are converted on the efly to 4/C . . .
                              Uncheck the "simulate overprint" preference when creating the PDF being sent to the RIP (which will separate/trap the colors based onits own magic formula) . . .
                              Keep up the good work!

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
                              Standard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph Expo4 PeesLabelexpoKBAKBA4OverSmartsoft (Presswise)

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4536 users online. 92 members and 4444 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                              X