Turbo FM - What is it?

pmhapp

One of our plants is printing using Turbo FM screening from their Brisque.
What is this screening exactly? I don't need a definition of FM screening, but what is the Turbo algorithm?
We're moving over to Prinergy, and I don' t believe this screening is available with Prinergy. What would be the closest available screening, and how different are they?
TIA.

Re: Turbo FM - What is it?

Turbo FM was the Scitex implementation of second order FM screening. The dot shapes are very directional. Creo did not support Turbo when they acquired Scitex because Staccato was deemed the better screen pattern.

Best Gordon

Thanks Gordo. I knew you'd be the man. So, is there any where I could look at the dot shapes to compare (other than printing samples)? How different is it from Staccato? Would I expect to see a printing difference between the two?

Here's what Turbo-FM dots look like:

!http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/data/500/10692Turbo-med.jpg!

In most cases you probably won't see much of a difference - however Staccato will be much smoother in flat screen tint areas and will not show the color mottle in flat tint screen overprints that you might see with Turbo-FM. Staccato is also more forgiving of directional press artifacts like doubling and slur.

gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back