Metrix or Preps

MC_JerryD

How many users are using Metrix for there imposition needs. Checked out a webinar last week and it look very powerful. We are currently using Preps with Prinergy. Any one using Prinergy with Metrix?

Also, if you are using Metrix, who is building the templates? Prepress? CSRs, Others?

Thanks for your answers.

MCJerryD

Re: Metrix or Preps

We are using Metrix 3.0 as our imposition program along with Rampage 10.6. Currently only prepress is using it for job development & templates. We soon will have our production manager on board, and finally our CSR's. We are working toward an imposed JDF workflow for the offset presses. The workflow's (page or sheet) are available in Metrix, output can be template based .jdf with single pages married in Rampage or an Metrix Imposed .pdf to our HP Indigo rip, or a Metrix Imposed .pdf to Rampage or again the automated imposed JDF workflow. Lots of options!

Brian
Prepress
Washington State University

Well, from my screen name you can guess my pick. Metrix all the way. While right now we are still exporting some templates out of Metrix into Preps, that will soon change very drastically. If your MIS and RIP are jdf capable, then Metrix is the way to go. Once my company gets the new Rampage upgrade (Yes, it is 10.6), I am pushing for a total jdf workflow. We use ePace and we can output a jdf file straight to Metrix which will do the imposition. The Prep operator can open Metrix (if you have a new Intel Mac - PC if not) and do a quick check on the layout(s) and send directly to Rampage. Once the pages are ripped, it should all flow in and you can choose to go direct to proof/plate.
Our prep guys are a little resistant to abandoning preps - are truth be told, there will be a few projects that would be a little easier to do the old way. But before the upgrade to Metrix 3, we were using jdf into Rampage and they were starting to come around a little. I think it is great to rip your pages and be done with it. With preps, you have to still break these pages out to go with this template and those pages to go with that template. And, with the Standards that you set in Metrix - there is no need for "common templates". As soon as Metrix sees something that a standard has been set for - it just does it without you doing anything. As of right now, i can spend about 20 seconds using the product wizard to put anysize book we want in, and I don't even have to check the layouts - just click,click send. And when your MIS can send a jdf file to Metrix - it will eliminate that process also.
The only thing I would recommend is buying Metrix Max. The Commercial version is limited to 16 "Products" in one project. This doesn't actually come in to play for us very often, but when it does it is kinda frustrating. I am lobbying to get the upgrade to Max very hard right now - the VP's around here see me coming down the hall and take off running in the other direction!

sorry, i did not realize that the 10.6 only went to those who needed it for specifically metrix annd the smaller xerox (i believe 240 series) integration. I am usually always up to date that5's why the disbelief.

john

I should mention that due to customer request, we've just posted an installer specifically for the die-hard PowerPC users out there. Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments about Metrix - we do believe we're creating a very unique and powerful planning and imposition tool. As always, if anybody has questions, I'm here to help.

We had been using Preps and then slowly made the conversion over to Metrix. We are now using Metrix 3.0 along with Rampage 10.6. and we are in the process of converting the shop to a JDF workflow. JDF will definately be the way to go for the majority of our jobs I think there will still be a couple of accounts that we might still do traditional way though. With the JDF jobs we are currently having the Job Planning Dept. set up Templates, when they are figuring out gangings and ordering paper, before it ever gets to PrePress. JDF workflow of this type will be putting the squeeze on the old Preps operators in PrePress.

Prepress Manager

We just started using Mertix. We are 98% PDF WF. I'm having one problem... Our company is using custom marks for all our colorbar/press marks, thus they are all PDF files for Metrix marks sets. We have Nexus as our RIPping software. SOOO My question is how do I match up the PMS colors from the 1-up PDF files placed in Metrix with the custom spot color bar from the Mertix marks set when exporting the JDF file??

T - we use Rampge here, so I am not sure about how Nexus works. In talking with our prep operators, they edit the colors once the sig is rip'ed. we use a 6C color bar - 4c/p + 2 spots. When they edit the colors, they tell the rip to "map to" spot 1, spot 2 or to not use the spots. Is this possible for you to do on your end? Again, i am just not familiar with your rip and our guys have not used it either. Hope this helps.

Metrix and preps not is same Software type, metrix is Job planing with options for JDF and MIS worflow, this is same of Upfront of Creo.

Preps is powerfull imposition software with simple worflow integrated, and capacities of input and output JDF worflow and input and output PDF or PS. to any worflow or RIP.

Metrix not is same or similar software to Preps, is for diferent Use.

Best regard

from what you are saying I understood that Metrix is not 20-40% more than Preps but it is WAY more expensive. Preps Plus you can get for 3K? How many preps copies for one Metrix?

Ryan,

It's hard to compare the price of Preps because there are different editions of both Metrix and Preps. Preps Plus and Preps Pro on the one side, and Metrix X-8, X-80, Commercial and Max on the other. Preps Pro is the closest comparison to Metrix Commercial, and in that case, Metrix is about a thousand dollars less. But it's still not fair because most people purchase multiple copies of Preps, and the per-user cost of Metrix goes down considerably as you purchase more concurrent users. Beyond that, the Metrix license can be a floating license, meaning that you can install Metrix on every PC and Mac in the building - if you've got a 3-user license, you'd be able to have ANY 3 people using it at any given time - MUCH more valuable than simply having 3 copies/dongles. For Printers with lesser needs, Metrix can be had for much less than the 3K you mention.

In any case, I did want to clear something up a bit: Comparing Metrix and Preps is really not fair in many ways. Preps is a cool tool (I worked for many years at ScenicSoft/Creo/Kodak and contributed to its development/support), but Preps' scope is limited. When we created Preps it was to create a digital stripping table. And to that extent, it really is a fantastic stripping table. But that's it - it doesn't have any intelligence, or rules-based functionality, validation, economic model etc. Metrix was created to solve the problem of planning a print project in the first place and when the operator is finished, the imposition Metrix creates is merely a by-product. Imposition is going the way that Trapping went - disappearing into the workflow - it's becoming irrelevant.

if you're curious, take a look at a few movies we have on our website that show Metrix' capabilities. I think you'll agree that Metrix goes miles beyond simple imposition, and ultimately makes a tool like Preps unnecessary. As for the aforementioned reference to UpFront, it was created by Rohan Holt, the creator of Metrix. As Rohan often says, UpFront was the prototype - Metrix is the real deal.

Grab some popcorn - the movies can be downloaded from:
http://www.lithotechnics.com/learning/3.0/index.html

davo

You are right - I have 3 copies of Preps (one Pro and two Pluses) that would be 7+3+3=13K. To tell you the truth I don't see any difference between Pro and Plus, so I could get away with 3 copies of Plus for a total of 9K.

Now, how much Metrix could I buy for 9K?

On the other hand, what would I do with my (already paid) Preps copies if I buy Metrix? Do you have trade in deal?

if not, why would I want to spend tens of thousands of dollars on Metrix and loose the money I spent already on Preps?

BTW. I also have Photoshop Extended and you know how many tools do I use? 10-20% maybe. There are only so many Photoshop artists that spend all day in Photoshop.

I think most users are in the same boat. Software manufacturers put more and more features in their software because they are in the business of selling software. The more you sell, the more money you will make. The truth is that 95% of users don't want to write letters in Photoshop and don't care for spelling check there. Would you care if Photoshop toast bagels?

Ryan,

It isn't that Metrix is simply an imposition tool with some added features. Yes software companies are in the business of selling software, but this isn't so much a case of bells and whistles being added for wow factor. It is about changing the workflow into an entirely automated process. Through the use of JDF, the imposition is created automatically as a by-product of the job planning/estimating process. Rampage can then marry the job files automatically with the imposition and begin output - All without the need for someone to set-up and completely guide the process, thus eliminating that mundane task. If complete automation is not what you are after, then of course stick with Preps, it too can utilize some of the usefulness of a JDF and Rampage relationship.

I would love to have a complete automation including running my Rampage from home.

BTW. Ken, can you run your Rampage from home?

JDF is great if all you do is business cards or postcards all the time. What happens if every job is different size and fold?

I wish I was printing only postcards and had one person using Rampage/Metrix Max combo from my home supplying 8 digital presses.

Could I run Rampage from home? Yes. Do I? It isn't my position to decide that at this company. But, it can be done. As for JDF and having different jobs folds etc. You have to make templates each time with any software, Preps or otherwise. It is up to you to be organized and reuse or re-purpose those things as assets to be kept.

The real difference here was that Metrix creates this template at the planning stage automatically.

Our projects at [http://www.bestprintingonline.com] are constantly changing as is with most commercial printers so just like with choosing the appropriate Preps template and running through the imposition process an appropriate JDF can be chosen, no imposing to be done, Rampage uses the instructions in the JDF and does the imposing in line.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back