Fingerprinting a 6 color Diddi: Step by Step instructions?

jbvanness

I am looking to find out how to fingerprint our 6 color diddi press. I have worked around these types of presses before but never was responsible for this level. Here at the label company I am at we are trying to get our 6 color up and running for the first time. I tried to do some research online to see if there was any step by step instructions on what to do but was unsuccessful with finding anything. I am a prepress manager trying to get a full color work flow set up. Does anyone have a direction they can point me in? A book? A website? A company to contact?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by: Jake Van Ness on Apr 18, 2008 1:23 PM

Re: Fingerprinting a 6 color Diddi: Step by Step instructions?

Process Controls Primer is a book that can be found on ebay and amazon. I would start by reading this book to make sure you have a good understanding of color. What kind of RIP or workflow are you running? Im familiar with ApogeeX, but thats about my extent of knowledge on the newer rips.

Edited by: Ernie on Apr 21, 2008 2:53 PM

Jake;

I highly recommend the book +Real World Color Management+ by Bruce Fraser, Chris Murphy and Fred Bunting.
http://www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor/

I second Todd's suggestion to hire a color consultant if you've got the budjet. I've used Ron Ellis out of NH. Well worth the money.

Don Evans

Thanks for the input guys. I'll talk with the owner this week and see what his thoughts are on hiring a consultant. I had a feeling that would be the best way to go. I'll also look into those books. Even at my own expense they would be worth reading to get a better handle on things.

As far as RIPs go we are using the OpenRIP Symphony 2.0 with APPE that came with our CTP by RIPit.

Any other input would be appreciated. Gives me more to go to the owner with.

you didn't mention if you had the necessary hardware required for such a task, we had a consultant by the name of Richard Lerner from the east come in and help us with our color management workflow and he well worth the money...

Diddi Press operator

Diddi Press operator

:):)
I am looking to find out how to fingerprint our 6 color diddi press. I have worked around these types of presses before but never was responsible for this level. Here at the label company I am at we are trying to get our 6 color up and running for the first time. I tried to do some research online to see if there was any step by step instructions on what to do but was unsuccessful with finding anything. I am a prepress manager trying to get a full color work flow set up. Does anyone have a direction they can point me in? A book? A website? A company to contact?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by: Jake Van Ness on Apr 18, 2008 1:23 PM

Hello, simple question, has the press been inked up yet? If it has, start with burning 6 duplicate screen grids on 6 plates and hang them as close to centered as possible. Web up mthe press with the turnbar bypassed and when your done webbing the press, leave the tension set to a good even air pressure so the front pull wheels pull the web through evenly. Ink up the units with the closest unit to the roll stand with yellow ink, ink up the rest of the units working front the yellow unit forward towards the sheeter. Use a darker color of ink in each unit magenta, cyan, reflex blue,etc. Using the side to side register knob on the unit to set the verticle registration. If the units are way off in horizontal registration, center the compinsators between each unit, then you will have to loosen the 4 bolts the connect the unit with the drive belt for that unit on the gearside of the press. You will be able to advance or retard the unit. When you are close to the blanket gaps matching you can use the compinsators to get the units real close. If the press is still sitting on the floor and has not been assembled yet. If the track is perfectly level and straight, start by inserting the webguide unit and endfeed units on the track first. Then place the first unit on the track, you will have to look at the units under cut on the small metal tag on the inside of the fram on the gearside of the press and determine which unit has the smallest blanket/plate cylinder undercut, and that will be unit 1. Place a small spacer cabnet in between units 1 and 2. Number 2 unit will have a little larger undercut. All electricle and grease lines and drive shaft sections will have to be coneected before tighting the set screws to the rails. use another space cabnet after unit number 2. If you have a turnbar on a spacer cabnet put it in neaxt then unit number 3, space cabnet, then so on till you get to unit number 6. Last will be the sheeter, delivery table. Any thing that I left out you can probably get ahold of a press mechanic at Berlin Industries in Carol Stream, Il. I used to run a 3 color 17 1/2'' x 22", 4 color 17 1/2" x 22", 5 color 17 1/2" x 22", 6 color 17 1/2" x 17" U.V. , 6 color 17 1/2" x 22" U.V. and a 8 color 20" x 22" U.V. trap drying Press. They were all Diddi web 700 or 800 Presses. Good luck...MIKE

To successfully build an Apple iPhone application is one thing - to market it and make it a smash success requires an advertising agency with the knowledge and the resources to carry it out. Banner Blindness has successfully launched dozens of niche mobile marketing, content delivery, and premium billing campaigns.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back