Fuji XMF Workflow

gg2017

Our company is looking at possibly making a move to this workflow. After the demo it looks really complete. It doesn't seem like like there is a lot of users on this forum using this workflow. We are possibly moving from Rampage for this workflow. Is there any users that have experience with this software that can give me some real world pros and cons for this software?

We moved from Rampage to XMF about a year ago, Its very good with the imposition as part of the workflow,(I wish Rampage did that) We find it good for our work, to be honest Rampage was fine too. Rampage is more user friendly especially for adjustments plate set ups etc. We still have Rampage installed here and files that have crashed XMF have run fine through Rampage. I wish we still used Rampage :(

AjR

AjR,

I know exactly what you mean about imposition and Rampage. I have even looked into different rip options because of it (despite the fact that we love Rampage).

But, have you ever looked at the integration of Metrix and Rampage? We switched from preps to Metrix for imposition a few months ago. Metrix is so automated that for roughly 90% of our jobs we never touch the imposition software. Metrix just takes data from our MIS, generates the impo and spawns the job in Rampage. It's really heaven.

Yeah, the EFI acquisition worries me a little, but I'm optimistic. The ganging that Metrix can do is definitely impressive, but rules based imposition and integration with Rampage is where it more than pays for itself. We can literally click a button in our MIS to send data to Metrix. It then (without any operator involvement) decides how to run the job, creates a JDF imposition, creates the job in Rampage, rips it and reports data back to the MIS.

The time savings versus offline imposition is truly amazing.

Apogee Prepress to Fuji XMF

Apogee Prepress to Fuji XMF

Our company is looking at possibly making a move to this workflow. After the demo it looks really complete. It doesn't seem like like there is a lot of users on this forum using this workflow. We are possibly moving from Rampage for this workflow. Is there any users that have experience with this software that can give me some real world pros and cons for this software?

While I can't speak to Rampage; I can tell you we switched from Apogee Prepress about a year ago and have been very pleased with the decision. FujiFilm has been excellent to work with. The comments I get from my prepress guys are that while it is a bit more difficult to set up workflows at the outset than in A.P., once completed, XMF is easier to use. The dynamic impositioning is a very nice feature that we didn't have on our older version of A.P. Also, maintenance/upgrades are MUCH more reasonable with XMF. We're at $3,500/year where A.P. was into 5 figures. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. BTW, I'd find a company using XMF near you and go see it in action. This is much more beneficial than seeing the typical "show" demos. Take along a couple of your tougher jobs and give it a workout. We recently did this for some folks out of Portland, OR and I think it was helpful for them....

Fuji XMF Workflow vs Rampage

Fuji XMF Workflow vs Rampage

If I was one of you I never ever should switch from Rampage to XMF.
XMF has a very lousy database (as it is called by Fuji, but it isn't) and every now and than it fails and has to be reinstalled.
All your ripped data is gone than, another thing is that the calibration from your image/platesetter is included in the ripped data. If you switch from output device you can start all over again.
When using Rampage you never ever loose your ripped data because it's independent from the output because screening is done on the shooter and has always the last calibration. Rampage has also a very nice trapping tool, you can easily do bump colors. The overall system is much more flexible than the XMF ever will be. You can add one or more rips if necessary, shooters, it has a very good ink reduction option and above all it's very easy to configure. Rampage has also excellent customer support.

What MIS system/Metrix/Rampage

What MIS system/Metrix/Rampage

What MIS systems are being utilized with the Metrix/Rampage JDF workflow?

Wow,

Now im worried we are switching to Xmf soon from Screens Trueflow, also the part about it not being easy to customize plate setups and special impositioning.

Bob,
Our MIS is custom built in Filemaker, so that's probably not much help. But Metrix can handle and flat file or xml. It's very easy to interface with.

Wow,

Now im worried we are switching to Xmf soon from Screens Trueflow, also the part about it not being easy to customize plate setups and special impositioning.

Duncan its not that hard just not as straightforward as Rampage, you should be fine with XMF it should do everything you need. Another bonus its being actively developed and your contract will include all updates so you will always be up to date.

Rampage to XMF

Rampage to XMF

Thank you KansasQuaker
Just curiuos gg2017, why would you make the transition from Rampage to XMF?

While I cannot officially speak for EFI Metrix what I can say as their tech support person is that any customer who has Metrix can request the MXML specification. This will allow customers to write their own MXML from their own systems. We can also use CSV files in a similar manner as MXML.

If you have questions about Metrix or need support for Metrix please contact us. Contact Us | Metrix Software

did you ever backup your database? we have been using it for 5+ years and thats never happened to us.

Hi, we recently have moved from Celebrant to XMF, but for some reason it is slower than the Celebrant. With Celebrant we were able to process 4 plates in 15 minutes and now it takes 45 minutes!! Is it normal???

We are in process of switching from Preps 5 to Fuji XMF. Anyone out there familiar with building web templates from the imposition editor? Trying to do a build of half and three- quarter webs in with other full webs is challenging. Also confused on the difference between imposition template; stripping template; and the stripping sheet template. What is the difference between them? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
CTPgal

have you got trapping on? that can slow it right down as you would expect.

At first i didnt like XMF but after using it for a while it is really good, the only thing i havent been able to do in it properly is creep settings, they are a bit of a nightmare, at least for me.

As far as the different types of impo templates, I never use the layout, just the stripping, if you want to log on to my system and have a look around it (its only v3x) pm me and ill give you a remote log in.

Its solid points are everything is in one package, impo, rip, export, room etc. Just and example, you can set up a saddle stitch book with a cover form a job template in seconds, then send a pdf low res proof to one folder for email proof, high res tif to a inkjet printer for hard copy, very easy to do. I like its number of options when it comes to replacing a page in a book, or just replacing a file, a few clicks and then save.

I used to worry about RGB images in files using other rips, but now I dont even bat an eyelid at them, it uses whatever icc output profile you choose to convert the colour.

For the price and reliability I reckon its a good buy, ive heard of others with database problems etc, but I have never seen it.

Dont expect to be able to export your preps templates perfectly into xmf, i had hundreds of them and just started again in XMF, it was quicker in the end.

Cheers,.

Last edited:
ajr,

If you're still using both Rampage and XMF, are you outputting 1 bit tiff's from Rampage and then sending them thru XMF?

Erik

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back