Switching from InDesign back to Quark??

earl

I have a customer who wants to switch from CS5 back to Quark Xpress. They hired a new designer who is "experienced" (meaning over 50) and knows and loves Quark. I think Quark can export a good PDF for me, but what pitfalls should I expect? This is a beautiful 4C magazine printing offset. I have the Adobe PDF Print Engine RIP.

I think the biggest problem you might find is that Quark still doesn't handle placed PDFs real well, so if they place advertiser-supplied PDF ads you might notice an occasional anomaly.

You also want to make sure that if the artist is using Quark 8 or newer that they maintain live transparency upon export. If transparency gets flattened it can cause undesired effects.

I am a 20 year Quark XPress user going back to v3.

I was the first one to sing it's praises & denigrate InDesign.

Then Quark decided to turn XPress into a, ebook/app maker & betrayed it's print customers with v9 that was riddled w/ annoying bugs.

When Q10 was announced as a major rebuild, I ordered in advance of its release.
I loved the new features!

BUT I soon found out that it was not able to consistently produce printshop usable pdfs.
Since Sept I've installed every upgrade. I've had my productivity severely impacted by time-consuming work arounds. And I've spent many, many hours using online chat & on the phone with customer support.

The priority level of my support ticket was labeled MINOR, and no solution has been offered other than work arounds.

I give up! This is clearly a beta release. This product should be taken off the market until it can be fixed and my money should be refunded.

I am in the process of researching the possibility of a class action lawsuit. There must be many thousands of other ex-users who were also ripped off for $279.20 and had there business income severely impacted. Gather up your documentation & let's band together!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back