Font Management in OSX

Re: Font Management in OSX

I use Extensis Suitcase 9 on Windows, just drag my temporary fonts to a shortcut on the desktop to Suitcase, which temporarily loads the fonts, I do the job, then open Suitcase, select all and delete all temporary fonts (which only deletes them out of Suitcase temporary fonts but doesn't delete them from their original locations. I think that Suitcase only puts a shortcut to the original font into the Windows fonts folder - that's it. So one can easily remove all but necessary Windows fonts, and then for each job they should be able to make shortcuts of fonts themselves, but it's not going to be as fast as Suitcase IMO.

Don

For our OS X uses, most are on Suitcase X1. We +still+ get stuff in Quark 4, 5, and PageMaker, so its classic compatibility is nice. Some though, are running Fusion, but none of them are very happy with it. I've got a couple that were running Fusion moved over to FontExplorer X, and they're very happy with the results.

For Windows XP, most of my users use ATM. What a fracking wreck -- I don't know what anyone found appealing about that program. I've got one user running the beta of FontExplorer X, and (AFAIK) it's been running very nice once we got her initial font library straightened out.

Well, the list of fonts on Chris_r's post might not be comprehensive enough. Safari and Mail aren't behaving themselves. Everything still works and all, but Safari and Mail are now lacking bold and italic. (In Mail: the "from" category in the message preview is messed up.) Oh, and some widgets look weird...

I'll try copying fonts back until it works.

Otherwise the idea of keeping your fonts folder (alias) on the dock, desktop, sidebar - wherever - is brilliant! It's working totally seamlessly, I see no immediate need for a font manager, other than checking for duplicate fonts.

nicolas,

i am sorry that you have run into a problem, my mail and safari seem to be working ok.

as a double check, this is what i found in my system fonts folder:

courier
geneva
helvetica
keyboard
lastresort
lucidagrande
monaco

i also have the font:

geeza pro bold.ttf
geeza pro.ttf

i cant remember exactly why i added geeza, it was over a year ago, and there was something that was requiring it for some reason, and i cant remember why, but i left it in there.

all my other font folders are empty, and my safari and mail seem ok. please let me know what you discover, im curious to hear.

good luck,

cr

Hey, don't worry. All I had to do was drag the folder of what I'd moved out back in - and magic - it all worked. (You don't even have to restart to try this.)

Now it's just a case of finding time to check which ones were doing it. If I want to get my system really clean, that is. For interest sake, I've attached a screen shot of what is was looking like.

PS To those fiddling with their system fonts: Once you drag your Japanese fonts out of the system folder, finder won't be able to display their icon names and will just close whatever window they're in. Don't panic. (Unless you drag it onto your desktop - I don't know what will happen then - and I'm not going to be the one to try!)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back