Finding a printer that caters for Stochastic/FM screening

Re: Finding a printer that caters for Stochastic/FM screening

Well - hopefully this will be final update on this job.

I visited the printers this afternoon to see the job on the press. And it is great! Very much worth the effort (but the printers may not say the same ;-) ). The colors are exactly as I was hoping for.

One thing that surprised me with the FM screening used was how the quality has improved so tremendously. The naked eye simply can no detect any pattern at all (that wasn't my experience in the past) and the transitions, especially nearing 0% tints are perfect.

I must say a huge "thanks" to Duncan and all at [Orphans Press|http://www.orphanspress.co.uk/] of Leominster, Herefordshire for all their effort with this. I understand their RIP software supplier has also been instrumental in getting their first FM sample underway. It's been a big hassle for them but I hope it has been of some interest.

It is a process that has made me a little wiser and has filled me with ideas on potential solutions for the market, especially from a design point of view hopefully without resulting in too much loss of hair for those who operate the presses. So a big thanks to all those who have given help and advise here too :)

Best wishes,

Nick

RE: PeterArnel wrote:

"Gordon - the main print buyers in the UK want to be able top swap work around and prefer 200 screen printed Fogra than a special FM."

That's probably worth a discussion on some forum as it brings up several issues. I can understand that for certain buyers and certain projects - an adherance to a specific print standard like Fogra (BTW I don't think 200 lpi conforms to fogra), or GRACoL is appropriate, however, printers not responding to their customers - the print specifiers - needs for an alternative is wrngheaded. In most industries that path leads to a loss of customers to other suppliers or competition based only on lowest price supplier. Also, it's sad to see the continued printers' desire to commoditize themselves as firmly as possible by not leveraging the flexibility of digital systems to provide more than one print standard - i.e. there's no reason why they cannot print Fogra when it;s appropriate as well as their own standard when that's appropriate.

'nuff said

gordo

> {quote:title=phantasm wrote:}{quote}
> could you specify the screening method? For example, if you knew you had access to stochastic (or any variant of FM) screening, there would be not immediate limit to the ink combinations used. But if you used conventional AM screening, surely there would be some system to ensure only certain inks were combined in one area to limit Moire effects?

Absolutely. Output format was usually DCS for us, but that's just because it worked w/ Artpro and our OPI the best (Multi-channel TIFFs, I think were the other format?). Contone at any rate.
We ran Artpro on the front-end for trapping and FullPress on a Quad processor Sun box w/a rats-nest of FC coming out the back... I hated the place, but the toys were a blast! :D

While frowned on in 'dem dar portable-potato format work-a-ma-jiggers, separated DCS files flat out *WORK* on a RIP. Screening was nary a problem, CMYKCM was what we usually ran, depending on what colors intersected, we would flop the last two (and that's w/o pulling out the usual bag of line-ruling and other tricks - bump plates always got assigned a higher frequency screen, to minimize that risk). In pinches, Artpro also supported object-based screening, and we had all sorts of licenses w/ our Beta dongle, so... Moire was nary a problem. ;) I remember screening a few jobs w/ all FM traps, just to fuck w/ the press guys (that was a very late night after-lunch on second shift!)

We did a test-run involving all manner of screening and our Hi fidelity at a training thing at RIT in their pressroom.... some neat stuff on those sheets, wish I still had a few. There's no doubt a talented prepress artist could really work some magic on separations. Harkens back to the days of dark-rooms and manual separation on transparencies (however that was done...). More "art" than a "craft" (but sadly, any monkey w/ enough time and approval material, can do a fine job in this marketplace).

- Mac

LOL! Stupid people piss me off too, Gordon!
(here's one to you!)

- Mac

Edited by: Mac on May 13, 2008 7:05 PM

Wow what a thread! Nicholas, Im glad your job went ok and you are pleased with the results, I'm involved with Orphans Press with their workflows and the screening method we use with StudioRIP for the FM was based around a new screening algorithm that out preforms anything else we know of.

Edited by: avongraphics on May 16, 2008 10:09 AM

It always nice to know that StudioRIP is appreciated. We think it's good, naturally, and we are very proud of what our screens can do. It's nice to hear that other people agree.

Paul Newman
Technical Director
StudioRIP UK Ltd

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back