Creating Negative postscript files from Quark

preflight

For some reason, when I'm printing a postscript file from Quark and check the "negative" option, the content of the document does not reverse out properly. It seems that whatever is native to Quark (text, rules, etc.) work, but imported elements (like art files) do not reverse out. It will, however, print to paper correctly. Any ideas?

Re: Creating Negative postscript files from Quark

Why do you want to print negative PostScript? Set the negative option on the RIP/recorder instead. So much easier...

I guess I'm not sure what you mean about using the Rip/Recoder. We put the finished postscript file into a hot folder for our RIP (Colorburst RIP). I didn't see a negative print option on that RIP. So, we use the negative option in Quark, which does not work properly when printing to a file. Only to paper.

Am I missing something somewhere?

Are you colour separating?
Is any of these files set to overprint?
Maybe your printer doesn't respect the overprint setting while your rip does
This is why on paper works
Try to distill your postscript and check it in Acrobat with Overprint preview on and off
See it it makes any difference
Cheers

This worked great! The postscript file still looked horribly wrong, but once I distilled it and messed with a few of the distiller settings, we got exactly what we needed. Thanks so much!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back