Imposition Software Costs

bbmeister

Where can I find a cost comparison for Kodak Preps, Metrix, Dynastrip and Impostrip.
We are a medium size offset printer, that does publications, books, annual reports and invitation packages. Our main binding styles are saddle-stitch, perfect bound, and flat work. We presently use Preps 5.3.3.
Our front-end is Eskos’ Automated Engine, which will be installed next month (01/2015). I know there are various options with these software packages, but the main thing we need is .jdf compatibility.

PS: I have been trying for 2 weeks to contact Kodak for pricing of Preps through emails and phone calls with no replies. I think we are done with them, and personally I think they are traveling the same path as Quark, WHICH IS BYE-BYE!

I've worked with various softwares such as Quite Imposing, Preps and Croptima InPlate.

Of course, each has their advantages and disadvantages, but I've found Croptima InPlate to be the best. It's a plug-in to InDesign that has an excellent WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) interface. It covers the various types of finishing you described, and best of all, it's only $50!!!

Quite Imposing is nice and has lots of bonus features besides just imposition, but I don't like how you don't see any sort of preview...you just put in all of the parameters and hope you got it all right before hitting "submit" and pray that it comes out right. Otherwise, you have to go through it again and figure out what you missed.

It's been a good 6-8 years since I used Preps, so I'm sure it's come a long way, but I didn't find it to be ideal for quick print shops processing various types of jobs throughout the day with different sizes. It was ideal at the shop I worked at because we did alot of gang run printing for business cards, postcards, and magazines. We just had to make the templates once and drop PDF or PS files and they would flow into the templates nicely. The problem was when we had a custom job come through on occasion, it was a hassle to create a new template.

Last edited:
Did you get a quote for Fast Impose from Esko? Runs quite well and will do things that the other ones cannot (at this point).

Cheers

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back