Hp indigo 7600

Sari

We are a small in house print shop doing relatively simple work. We have had the Indigo about a year now. We are just starting to get into using the white ink and clear ink.

As a "project" i was asked to find out how other print shops prepare their files for Indigo printing. Do you instruct your designers how to set up files or does your prepress team prepare them with the spot colors to print the whites. Do you make simple pdfs and then the print people spec the layers or does your prepress team use an HP software to do it and then it can just print. Currently my teammate and i (we are the prepress team) make pdfs with the spot colors for the Indigo and then send it into the shop where the print team runs the file thru their software and print the job. Is this the correct workflow or are there other more efficient ways of printing to the Indigo.

thanks

There are two answers.
1. Develop documentation for your customers so they can do their own. If they are willing to do so, then offer them a discount on their printing.
2. Keep doing it the way your are doing it, and charge more.

Have a happy,
Cory Sawatzki

When setting up clear and white inks, I think you'll find that most files received from creative groups require some mechanical adjustment. This is not a knock on those building the files, they have a different focus and set of responsibilities.

Our clients provide us with very basic artwork and we prepare it all. There is a lot of variable data so it is not possible for the client to provide print ready files.

If you want your clients to prepare good artwork for you, you must give them good advice.

There are plenty of examples if you google "artwork-guidelines"

My Printing Pal | Artwork Guidelines

Guide to supplying print ready artwork to The Max Design and Print

Expand Printing Guidelines

If you go to the "My HP Indigo" website (the same site you order your ink supplies) you will find some Indigo Software to download.

You might want to look at "HP Indigo Swatch.ase"

This is an Illustrator Swatch Book for HP Indigo Inks (White, Infra Red etc). You could create a PDF with some swatches like this to share with your clients.

Another application to download would be SmartStream Designer. This is a plug in for InDesign. It is mostly for Variable Data jobs but has some good imposition tools.

HP also have applications to set up imposition templates. You can supply a 1-up PDF to the RIP and it will impose the job for you.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back