How to make Imposed item same all the way around?

AP90

Ok guys, I'm going to try and explain this the best I can. First off, I'm pretty new to the whole graphic design and digital print world, so sorry if this is a question that is pretty amateur or easy.

Im designing a flyer right now that is a half letter size (4.25x11). Just like any printer, in order to maximize profit, I would like to run these on 11x17 sheets and cut them down. My problem is that 2 of the flyers from each sheet will have white borders on 3 sides and 2 will have top and bottom borders. The client is fine with the white border, so I am wondering how I can make it so that each flyer will have equal white around each one. Am I just going to have to play around with the size of the flyer, is this a bleed or gutter design, or can I do this when imposing (using impose wizard). Or am I going to have to full bleed trim every flyer so there is no white?

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Personally I would fix the files (your only have 4) to the correct size, trim, and borders. Would take a lot less time than tweaking your imposition, your trim marks will be correct, and should you have to reprint or repurpose these files later you are good to go. IMHO.

It sounds like a couple of these will need bleed. 11x17 is too small to accommodate the bleed running more than one on a sheet.

Is this being run on a production device, or are you trying to output on a laser printer?

Is there a technical reason you're fixed on the 11x17 sheet? If not, I would recommend printing on a 12x18 sheet (a common, standard, and affordable size in the digital world) which would allow for a bleed on all four sides.

One side note -- as a designer, you should rarely, if ever, be doing your own imposition. If you're a one man print-shop, it might be different, but if not, imposition should be left to an operator who knows the production environment.

Thanks for the responses guys. To answer G Oliver's post, yes I am a 1 man print shop. I usually don't even do the designing, but when business comes your way, you take what you can get. Especially since this is a new client and will lead to many more jobs. And sorry if I seemed fixed on 11x17, that is not an issue to go larger. I was just throwing that out there.

And someone asked if this was a production or laser machine. Well ill just answer with what I have, because some consider it production and others consider it a glorified copy machine lol. I have a Xerox C75 with fiery free flow.

What program are you doing your design in? I would just set up a 4.25 x 11 page with .25" guides around the edges and make sure your work stops at those guides. Or, if you can talk the customer into a slightly smaller size, say 4 x 10.75, then you could bleed files to your hearts content.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back