DCS single file

rande

I'm having a problem with a placed DCS file in Qx. trying to make a PDF, it says theres a problem with deviceN and just goes away in my PDF.
Anyone know how to get a PDF with a DCS file?

Re: DCS single file

I'd never tried it..... never had any need. I just did it though, using Qx 6.5... had no problem. Unfortunately I don't have a real answer for you (there are far too many potential factors for me to even venture a guess).... I was just curious if I could do it myself.

Do you have Indesign?
Indy handles DCS files MUCH better than Quack.

You can look at seps on screen and all.

I usually make PDF from Quark (6.0) via postscript (Quark > PS > Distiller > PDF). Quark and PDF are not friends.

huck,

Quark and composite workflow (composite PDF) and DCS does not work that I have seen. So you must be outputting a separated postscript from Quark, which distills to a separated PDF. Either that or you're not using DCS, or you're getting lores in your composite PDF and not hires.

Don

Quark invented DCS (Desktop Color Separation) and they still haven't added the kind of support Adobe has for it.

Quark can process a DCS file but will only include the high res data *IF* one of two things happen.
1) You print separated PostScript

OR

2) You use DCS Merger from Impresse first on the DCS images and then print composite.

I don't know if it will do it properly when going direct to PDF if you do not use DCS Merger.

If you print composite and have not used DCS Merger then you will get a low res image where the DCS file is.

Other than the one other exception of saving as .psd and placing in Illustrator and saving as .eps and placing in Quark for composite output to PDF. View resulting PDF using Overprint Preview in Acrobat to make sure it's hires.

Don

What??

That's not a DCS file...

Absolutely! You should always view with overprint preview on in Acrobat.

Didn't say it was a DCS file Matt. It is, however, an option that can be used to output an incoming DCS file to composite PDF and it be high resolution in the composite PDF. It's a workaround is what it is.

Don

If memory serves, I used to print ripped page DCS files in Quark to a presep-postscript and then rip it to a 2400dpi eps or J-peg with overprint on, then place the result back in Quark.

If the DCS was an image, I'd just open it in Photoshop and resave it as a composite.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back