A question of "high-end" scanning.

Re: A question of "high-end" scanning.

Hi,
interesting view on the marked (or sudden lack of it...) I own 4 Celsises (2 for parts) and a T5000 flatbed for reflective stuff and an Imacon 949 for film. We have about 50 scans a week on the imacon and perhaps 100 scans a month on the flatbed (looking for new now, any advice? either a C550 sprint or a Cezanne Elite?). As for the Celsises I run, mostly for enlargements on lightjet or for specific printing needs, about 30 -100 scans a month on the Celsises for an average price of 120$ each. (10x8s are 1000NOK= 180$ and 120 film are about 90$ each) Photographers and clients specifically asks for drumscans!

We scan TIFF RGB 80-120MB each file, and up to 6-700MB for special installations. Mostly we scan negative film, occasionally some 10x8" positive film.

Now I will try to target institutions and other outside the art -industry to keep volume up, as I see an increase in incoming digital high-end stuff (from Phase Ones ans H3s).

cheers

André

;ATT whos that guy travelling around? I may need a cradle v2 and a hand to recalibrate optics on my 6250s...

I have extra glass plates (brand new) for the Nexscan. Please contact me if you still need one.

I wanted to address the down Nexscan with the Maxiboard problem in this thread too...some of those earlier Maxiboards would spontaneously lose the OS in the boot prom. There is a service port on the Maxiboard where you can hook up a serial cable (it's 9 pin DIN) and start the machine to see if there are any boot messages at all. But before you go to that trouble, just go under "Special Scanner Functions" and execute a software update...this will reload the plug-in to the boot prom. If this doesn't work, then you probably need on-site service and it could be your Maxiboard is non-repairable. I've had some luck with bringing them back to life. Unfortunately I have no more of them currently in stock. Please let me know if I can be of assistance. My contact info can be found at hudsongrafik.com . Sorry this reply came a few weeks late, but I just saw the thread and I hope that by now you are already back up and running.

I also know the guys at Repronet since 23 years and they are very knowledgeable and helpful. We cooperate with each other on a regular basis. I'm based in Kiel, Germany but maintain an office and warehouse in Atlanta, GA too. They are located on Long Island. We are sticking around to keep the old Hell legacy alive a little longer.

I guess im the other odd man out.
I run a Howtek 7500 and i cant keep up with the amount of scans we do.
We are doing more now than ever. Film is growing at least in NYC.
Most of it is in the large format (4x5, 8x10). Some medium format and some ultra large format.

-ian

Anyone want to sell a howtek? I need another one!

We had Before A Crossfield Scanner & Studio, we have some of our files which we need now recorded before on 8 mm tapes. How can I get these photos and files to use it on photoshop. Thanks in advance

Still running a Topaz . .. couple of scans a month or so . .. mostly to take existing art and recreate it when the customer doesnt have the original art or files

A Crosfield Magnascan 636, a beast when you consider what a flat bed will do, but still think that nothing beats a high end drum scanner, a very technical high precision bit of kit, built around the concept of colour as a science, just everything about it is so different to a flat bed - just gives incredible accuracy, but also comes down to a good op. We were once stacked with work. Most people use digital cameras to capture now, so its scanned at source so to say. Digital cameras have done to high end scanning, what CTP has done to film.
http://www.imagesetting.com

I feel nostalgic reading this thread, i completed my apprenticship on a Crossfield 540....watched it being taken to the tip 14 years ago, kept a few badges and a drum.

regards
Maas

We sold our Hell S3400 about 6 years ago. Now we use an Epson Expression 10000XL to scan an occasional transparency, c-print, or piece of original art. Most images are supplied digital camera captures or bank images.
I served my apprenticeship scanning on a Crosfield 646, we had 2 of them with an 'E' and a 'M' output unit. We ran 2 shifts with 4 operators, and when scanning peaked we were scanning about 15,000 pieces of color a year.
Man I miss those paychecks!
Regards,
Todd

I'm looking for a used scanner if Canada (pref the GTA area) that can comfortably handle 8x10 negatives. Please reply here if you have any leads.

We still have a Linotype Hell S3010 but its not been wired up since we moved premises last September (2010) In that time we've only once been asked for quality drum scan. We get by on a Heidelberg Linoscan 1200 running Linocolour Elite (v6) which is a nice flatbed, even that was recently replaced, picked up a spare for £20 on ebay!
Nothing these days gets close to the quality of an old drum scanner, I liken it to Concorde, technology you are never likely to see again. I remember back in 2001 when we switched to CTP chatting to some ex Linotype engineers who were working for Heidelberg about the upright drum scanners and we even had a few test scans done, even these were not even close for detail compared to the old horizontal one. The Engineers confirmed they were such different technology and never be as good. I'm not sure whether its just urban myth but I heard that the USM's were hardware calculated based on the surrounding 16pixels in each direction.

I work on the Screen scanners, from 888, 757, 747, 608, to the desktops units.
The best is the SG-8060, which they only stopped making just 2 or 3 years ago.
This one uses the same large drum as the old 757s, and even the same photomultipliers, yet is compact and runs the desktop software with control from a mac.
What's nice is that since it was still made only a few years ago, it runs on Mac OSX, and even an Intel Mac. All the others are stuck on beige box macs running maybe OS9.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back