Mac or PC?

as the possible solution for problems with Access MIS on MAC - is using portable platforms like Java to implement MIS, prepress automation and so. It is much more effective than Access and the same developed and polished application can work on Mac/PC

2c + VAT
Mac is perfect if you are stand alone designer/layout profesional who needs stability when running the whole Adobe Suite at once; and of course the notebook looks cool at a coffeshop :-], but in a prepress network environment I found Mac is not as adaptable and stable, often taking much longer to reconnect to servers after any shutdowns or network updates. The cost of a comparative windows workstation is less and the reliability of Windows running MIS, design/layout, prepress worflow as well as online browser applications is great.

In my experience IT folk hardly know or are hardly interested in Mac issues. For years I was VERY Pro Mac and PC's were for "secretaries and bean-counters" (it was about 1994 the PowerMacs 8500/9500 era), but PC's and cross platform applications have come into their own quite nicely thank you.

Macs are lovely but a tad overated for our purposes.

I've used nothing but Pcs and Dells for the last 25 plus years in both prepress and design applications. Never had any major problems. We were probably one of the first to output film directly from an IBM PC based computer from programs like Microsoft word, excel etc. etc... Without needing to convert to postscript or anything....Macs are pricey and for half the money our PCs could run circles around any MAC, whether it be Photoshop, Pagemaker InDesign or illustrator or any other program. It's all in how you set it up as when set properly the go on forever unlike the Mac.... But let me say that Macs are so fast that they will crash twice before the PC even boots up...

Last edited:
Well . . . this is starting to look like a post from last year . . .. I'm sure some of you remember it . . . for a walk down memory lane . . . Corel vs Adobe, Mac vs Windows . . .

https://goo.gl/DBoSGK

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back