InDesign Image not in the links pallet

Qbot

If I select the image in InDesign it does not show up in the links pallet. Looking at the preflight (InDesign preflight) it shows up as "Graphic". Our epson is way off to the press sheet. Anyone know how I can explain this? Thanks!

Might be that it was copied and pasted . . . not the best way to get an image into InDesign IMHO . . . just guessing

Yes thats what Im going with. What was copied and pasted did not have an extension so the rip didn't convert the image properly (U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2.

Was going to ask if it was embedded, but just tested that and it still shows up in the links. I copied and pasted a jpeg and sure enough it shows in indesign but nothing in the links. Definitely not the way to do things.

In these situations when you need image....I save a PDF of the page, then extract,save, name the specific image from the PDF in acrobat. Then you have something to work with (and replace properly in the document)

Appears there is nothing in the InDesign preflight profile to flag this type of situation.

The only time I have seen that is from rookies . . . my 1st instinct is to hit them on the head with a newspaper and then say don't do that in a strong and loud voice (or is that the way you potty train a new puppy?)

The only time I have seen that is from rookies...

It gets worse with this customer... you should see how they build swatches.

Weirdest thing I have seen from a client is an indesign file placed in another indesign file. Thankfully everything worked alright, but I wonder what would happen if the placed indesign file was missing links or fonts. Down the rabbit hole I would go!

Weirdest thing I have seen from a client is an indesign file placed in another indesign file. Thankfully everything worked alright, but I wonder what would happen if the placed indesign file was missing links or fonts. Down the rabbit hole I would go!

I place INDDs in INDDs all the time. Packaging includes all the fonts and links from the placed INDD... if packaging is necessary (exported PDFs are better for most of my purposes).

Embedding or pasting images into InDesign is another matter altogether. The inclusion of the ability to even do that is an oversight!

I place INDDs in INDDs all the time. Packaging includes all the fonts and links from the placed INDD... if packaging is necessary (exported PDFs are better for most of my purposes).

Embedding or pasting images into InDesign is another matter altogether. The inclusion of the ability to even do that is an oversight!

What do you gain by this? Maybe there is a good reason, but I have never had a need to drop an Indesign file in another Indesign file. If I am going to combine jobs I make PDF's and go from there.

I am anal about packaging files, once the first proof goes out I package and go from there.

What do you gain by this? Maybe there is a good reason, but I have never had a need to drop an Indesign file in another Indesign file. If I am going to combine jobs I make PDF's and go from there.

I am anal about packaging files, once the first proof goes out I package and go from there.

We used to do work for an electronics company with tons of large manuals (800 to 1000 page binders). The manuals were all put together with various smaller InDesign files as linked files. Then if any of the smaller sections were revised it would just grab the updated links when the larger manual file was opened for output. Those individual sections might be used in 10 different manuals, so it would only be one update instead of 10.

Yep - I place indd into Indd often as well. It's safe as houses. There's heaps of warnings if you mis-link a graphic or font from original document. I use it when I have to manually setup an imposed file, which I can't impose directly on a rip for whatever reason. Then if I have to make a change at all in the original, it simply updates across all my self imposed documents. It's really no different than placing an eps pr ai file into an Indd file.
I'd never heard of copying and pasting a .jpg into Indesign, but just tried it. Now that, makes me shudder. Definitely not how to go about things.
How do does your client build swatches?

Yep - I place indd into Indd often as well. It's safe as houses. There's heaps of warnings if you mis-link a graphic or font from original document. I use it when I have to manually setup an imposed file, which I can't impose directly on a rip for whatever reason. Then if I have to make a change at all in the original, it simply updates across all my self imposed documents. It's really no different than placing an eps pr ai file into an Indd file.
I'd never heard of copying and pasting a .jpg into Indesign, but just tried it. Now that, makes me shudder. Definitely not how to go about things.
How do does your client build swatches?

Hey if it works! I do everything with PDF's, so if I am imposing manually from multiple indesign files, which is pretty rare. I can do all the imposition and if there is a change, I resave as a pdf and it gets updated. Again, pretty rare that I need to do any imposing in indesign anyways, my imposition program is pretty versatile for our needs.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back