Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to Pitstop?

Hey everyone,

We use Pitstop for correcting overprints, knockouts and rich black. Also use some action list items. Does anyone know of good alternatives to Pitstop for these tasks?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Re: Alternative to Pitstop?

Yes. Enfocus Neo, PitStop's big brother.
    Matt Beals
    The views expressed here are my own personal views and are not those of my employer.

Comment

Yea, for $4500 without trapping and $7500 with trapping.

Comment

save as an eps and open in illustrator.

EPP Manager • Brass City Printery
        OSX 10.4.10 • RAMpage 9.4 • Dynastrip 4.2
        EFI Colorproof XF • Avantra 30 • Epson 7600
        Matthew "LAMMY" Lamoureux
        918 Printery - Ad artem artium conservatricem conservandam

Comment

Dear Kevin,
          you might also look at OneVision Software at www.onevision.com

OneVision, Inc.; 15 Exchange Place, Suite 700; Jersey City, NJ 07302, USA
          Phone: +1 201 938 0500, Fax +1 201 938 0250

Regards,
          Gerhard

Comment

Whatever software you use to edit, the key is to test, test and test again to see if the results are what you expect. This rule applies even more if you want to go with automated solutions such as Pitstop Server or OneVision Asura. Some people think they can drop quality control because they use such systems but they are wrong. I could tell you good stories about that.
            Better train people and risk they leave - than do nothing and risk they stay.

Comment

I'd like to hear some good stories if it helps us for future decisions.

We're also looking into other options that pitstop currently.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Neo is a little steep for our wallets. I'm looking into the trial version of OneVisions stuff. We'll see how it goes.

Kevin

Comment

If you think Neo is out of your price-line, dont even bother to look at OneVision.

What are you trying to do?

Comment

Here is one to start with:

http://www.prepressforums.com/forum/...xist-matt.html

I also experimented sending PDFs to various newspapers that use OneVision Asura that preflights incoming file, decomposes it and rebuilts it to your specs (as eps if I'm not mistaking). Even if these PDFs were built EXACTLY the same, following SNAP standards (beside their size), some newspapers would knock-out my overprints, some other would overprint black that was KO (black box with small reverse white type placed on a light blue image) some would convert trapped elements to a dark blend of CMYK thinking these trapped elements were spot colors (my PDFs contains ONLY CMYK) and some would just remove these trapping elements thinking they are spot colors. As I said, I know pressure is high in the graphic arts to automate as much as you can, there is no going back on that matter. But if you rely only on automation systems by thinking they are perfect, bypassing classic quality control steps such as comparing what was supplied to you and what you transformed it to, you'll end-up with big surprises.
                    Better train people and risk they leave - than do nothing and risk they stay.

Comment

There simply is *nothing* that I have found that is a PitStop replacement between the PitStop price point and the Neo price point. If you want to spend more then there are alternatives. If you don't, there aren't. At least not that I have seen.
                      Matt Beals
                      The views expressed here are my own personal views and are not those of my employer.

Comment

We're a pretty simple operation. We print newspapers. Most of our clients don't understand that black type should be made with black ink. (imaging that). We are a pdf shop. We make them, or the client sends them to us. Then we fix the built black, improper overprints/knockouts, etc. Pretty simple stuff. We also try to keep our costs down because we work mostly with universities and high schools. As with all printing, margins are small.

It sounds like I should stay with Pitstop. I'm okay with that. I love it, just checking to see if there is something better, cheaper, faster.

Thanks,
                        Kevin

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Asura is OneVision's high end solution for publishers. They also have a product line called Speedflow which might be a better fit for your environment. You're more than welcome to send me some test files that I can process for you. I'm one of their System Engineers (i.e. not a sales guy) :-)

Regards,
                          Greg

Systems Engineer
                          OneVision, Inc.
                          Premedia Software Inc.

Comment

Callas software?

But It's more expensive than Pitstop! Neo has very nice interface but it's quite expensive and lacks some tools as others said.

Comment

Just get pitstop....
                              You want Pitstop...do you need something cheaper??
                              Just get pitstop...use it all day...Everyday.

Or Illy...go get your fonts. Not as easy as pitstop for quick fixes in a PDF workflow.

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
                              4OverStandard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph Expo4 PeesGTILabelexpoKBAKBA

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2936 users online. 36 members and 2900 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                              X