Mock ups

Sari

Do any of you get printed mock ups from your clients anymore or am I showing my age?
To me it seems a lot of errors would be caught if they just printed the darn thing out and made themselves a sample. Silly me.

Agreed! Look ma'm, you've specified an 8.5 x 11 flyer, soft-folded to 8.5 x 5.5. Then you want that inserted in to an A-7 envelope. Only, It's NOT GOING TO FIT!

Oh dear lord the printed mock up is a life saver.

I make them myself for my own sanity as well as for the press operator if it's an unusual job. The other month i sat in a clients office and made a mock up with scrap paper to prove a point about how pages flow. This was a guy with years of experience.

We all make mistakes and a mock up can often save the day.

I have one client who has a go with Microsoft Paint but my favourite was a profession design company from Texas with a three page booklet.
​​​​​

Folding proofs for evey job . . . used to call them bluelines back in the day . . . . I want to know why people insist on proofreading by email . .. for example .. on page 56 the word Skill is misspelled . this is in a book full of text . . . they don't tell you how its misspelled just that it is . . . I long for the days of real proofs delivered by fax . . .

Folding proofs for evey job . . . used to call them bluelines back in the day . . . . I want to know why people insist on proofreading by email . .. for example .. on page 56 the word Skill is misspelled . this is in a book full of text . . . they don't tell you how its misspelled just that it is . . . I long for the days of real proofs delivered by fax . . .

Not only proofed by email, but half the time they're looking at that proof on their tiny little phone screen.

Not only proofed by email, but half the time they're looking at that proof on their tiny little phone screen.

Oh, how many times we've heard that. Yeah, I approved the proof, but I was looking at it on my phone and didn't catch that.

I use a simple signature when sending proofs:

* If receiving a proof, please do not view it on a tablet or phone. PDF files may not display correctly in web browsers. *

AGREE!!! Some comment on things like why is it the colour of the photos so dark or blur!! But another thing is I start having clients that feel that the duty to do the mock up is with the printer, not them or their designers. And when there's a mistake spotted on the mock up, the will ask the printer why is that so and then ask us to change it. Its really annoying.

I use a simple signature when sending proofs:

* If receiving a proof, please do not view it on a tablet or phone. PDF files may not display correctly in web browsers. *

GOOD IDEA!!

Here's mine:

PDF files are best viewed with Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader. Other PDF readers may display inaccurately. Download Acrobat Reader for free by clicking the above link. Please set 'Overprint Preview' to 'Always' (Edit > Preferences > Page Display on Windows, and Adobe Acrobat Reader > Preferences > Page Display on Mac OS).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back