Dieline files sent out to make a "tool" (Steel Rule Die)

Qbot

What are the general guidelines to follow when making a file for a "Steel Rule Die". I'm guessing the file is opened in some sort of CAD program. From what I'v been told it's something like this.
1) All fonts must be outlined
2) All lines must be solid (stylized lines are bad)
3) Use different colors for the various types of functions (cut / crease / perf / cut score etc.) Use a color legend at the bottom of the file so the die maker knows the function of each rule.
4) Show the sheet size.
Please let me know if i'm going wrong somewhere...

Hello Qbot,

You are on the right lines.

Most companies I have dealt with accept a vector pdf file.

No need to outline fonts, just stick to a system fonts unless you die cutting letterforms.

Stylised is ok for a perforation as long as you specify the perforation spec (eg. 12 teeth per inch).

I would always mark the distance from the top left hand corner to each piece of tooling. Do that for the first time that object appears on the page. Then show the first step and repeat for that object. Such dimensions are not required by the tool manufacturer but it helps them spot discrepancies in your diagram.

Most suppliers should be able to provide you with a sheet of their requirements. You can ask them to send you an example document. A good supplier will be happy to help you. They know that if they spend the time early on, the jobs will get easier
​​​​
​​

They want this sort of file.... View attachment Base and Lid.pdf
I made this in Impact 2016. All the red lines here are cut lines and green lines are crease lines.
When you send this type of file to you die maker, if they have laser cutter to cut the die board, it will be easier for them to assign the lines to cut, crease or perf etc.
This way the laser cutter will cut the board accordingly.

Hi Qbot,

I order all the dies for my company so I can only speak to my workflow regarding dies. Typically, I isolate only what will be on the cutting die and temporarily delete everything else. Without knowing more about what you do, I am not sure why you would need fonts on your die file. As for the art, all is vector and all positioned numerically (I don't eyeball distances). All paths are joined as needed. I also pre-impose the die artwork to save the die maker time and I include a perimeter box to show press sheet area. I include a press sheet layout from the job planner that includes die dimensions and fax that info to my die maker.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,
pd

Generally we build the dieline in Illy then place it on a layer in Indesign and build the job around the die line . . . then we send two files to the plateroom one that is the die only and the other is the art. They both get stepped around using, in our case, Signa and send the resulting file to our die maker with marks . . . that way we know the step will match the press sheet steps . . . other than that . . what they said.

When you are going ahead to make steel rule die all you need to know is your die lines mentioned in the vector file of it and your file is good to go with, just make sure if there is any perforation, or creasing in the design you need to mention that as well so that the die maker can handle your file accordingly.

""I am not sure why you would need fonts on your die file."

When I mentioned fonts I was speaking to a color legend at the bottom of the file. Some of the dies we need may have 3 or 4 different functions (cut - crease - perf - cut score). A company I worked for in the past had that as part of the SOP.

""I am not sure why you would need fonts on your die file."

When I mentioned fonts I was speaking to a color legend at the bottom of the file. Some of the dies we need may have 3 or 4 different functions (cut - crease - perf - cut score). A company I worked for in the past had that as part of the SOP.

In that case, if fonts are indeed needed in your die file, I would encourage you to find/use a centerline font (they are out there). That way when you convert it to outlines, it will convert as a line and not as an enclosed shape.

Cheers,
pd

die instructions.jpg
In that case, if fonts are indeed needed in your die file, I would encourage you to find/use a centerline font (they are out there). That way when you convert it to outlines, it will convert as a line and not as an enclosed shape.

Cheers,
pd

We just put a legend on the file . . . see attached file

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back