Designer showed a customer final files without overprint preview settings on, really?

shorty83

I am in the middle of proofing a job that uses multiple transparencies and blending modes... the proofs looked good (or so I thought), I sent them out for approval (PDFs). Nope, the customer has come back saying the color in the proofs look different than the original files the designer sent. Hmmm....I check the files and they look the same as what the designer sent. What the?.... A phone call to the customer reveals that she is viewing the original (designer's) files without the overprint preview on and comparing them to my proofs (which have overprinting embedded in the file). Really?! Turns out, the designer never showed the customer proofs with the overprint preview on and now they are asking me to try to match color to what the files looks like without the overprint preview on! This is beyond annoying.... I adjusted the files as close as I could (literally by taking the blending off and adjusting transparencies and changing the PMS colors used...). They still don't match perfect and shes very picky. Would you guys tell the customer to go back to the designer or try to make magic for hours adjusting colors and transparencies?

So, they've created particular colours using overprints, transparency/blending modes, or both? And it's spot colours that will be printed with spot inks rather than converted to process? Transparency previews fine in Acrobat Reader without changing settings (which is why I've started using multiply instead of overprint lately).

If the client has only seen it without overprint preview, switching off overprint on the relevant objects should theoretically produce what they've seen.

They created a spot color banner that uses a "hard light" blending along with a 70% transparency. This band sits on top of a 4cp image. So no, there is no overprinting to turn off, even if I take the blending off it does not look the same as how it looks without the overprint preview on.

That is not your responsibility. I would suggest you to stop modifying the document and contact your client/designer.

Ditto to all the members that said send it back . . . I'll bet that designer has used overprint on their "white" type too . . . .

They created a spot color banner that uses a "hard light" blending along with a 70% transparency. This band sits on top of a 4cp image. So no, there is no overprinting to turn off, even if I take the blending off it does not look the same as how it looks without the overprint preview on.

Ah... that's a bit reckless! Looks like Hard Light just doesn't work with spots. Will this spot colour be printed as spot? I've had a quick play around and it looks like converting it to process yields the same appearance as the misleading one you get without Overprint Preview.

Ignore the text in the box, one of them is still spot...

Attachments

• process.jpg
    process.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 205
  • spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 203
Ditto to all the members that said send it back . . . I'll bet that designer has used overprint on their "white" type too . . . .

ugh.... for the number of times that I've missed THAT stupid designer mistake!!!

Sometimes, when the designer doesn't really understand what they're doing, it can end up being more trouble trying to explain things to them and the client, than it is to fix it. Prepress diplomacy, don't you just love it?

ugh.... for the number of times that I've missed THAT stupid designer mistake!!!

There's an ISO accreditation logo that appears on thousands of companies' stationery here in the UK. After finally getting the vector files from the accreditation company's media department, I luckily spotted that it was white type overprinted on a Pantone 288 rectangle. I dread to think how many reprints that caused.

I do think the developers of Illustrator should bear some of the blame, though.

It's been discussed ad nauseam on the Adobe forums over the years... or is that decades? I think a good warning would probably be better than a change in functionality. I'd personally prefer that only spot white swatches could be set to overprint, but I could see that causing issues with legacy files where the overprinting white was done for good reason. I prefer InDesign's use of a 'Paper' swatch that can't be overprinted.

there is a warning that pops up and warns you about overprinting white. but most people click the "do not show again" box after the first time completely defeating the purpose.

there is a warning that pops up and warns you about overprinting white. but most people click the "do not show again" box after the first time completely defeating the purpose.

Interesting, InDesign will not even let you apply overprint to a white object or a white stroke . . . Illy gives you the message - but I don't think I had ever seen it before because, 1. I don't do a lot of work in illy, and 2 I know that nothing good ever happens when you overprint paper/white . . . .

I ended up picking different spots colors to get as close to the designers files without overprint as I could and explained if they wanted it any closer then they needed to work with the designer (USING OVERPRINT PREVIEW). They went to the designer and he came back with different PMS colors to use even though it didn't match. Guess that designer learned a lesson....

There's an ISO accreditation logo that appears on thousands of companies' stationery here in the UK. After finally getting the vector files from the accreditation company's media department, I luckily spotted that it was white type overprinted on a Pantone 288 rectangle. I dread to think how many reprints that caused.

I do think the developers of Illustrator should bear some of the blame, though.

Not sure what RIP you guys use but after countless years of "leaving customer files untouched" and doing our best to manually figure out ways to catch issues such as these, I recently changed our RIP to knock out all CMYK white. We run several hundred jobs gang run daily and have yet to see a problem with it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back