How many of you would accept this as a proofing strategy?

dabob

We have a customer, a housing development company, that has 10 or 12 brochures that their "designers" (aka secretaries that have a copy of InDesign on their computers) create files for us to print. Currently, (not my idea) we take their work, check for "printability" i.e. bleeds, and proper folds etc. I have been told not to "look for" design issues, because as we all know anything could be considered a "design issue". So when I look it over and make any bleed adjustments etc we print one copy and take the copy to them to approve. This is where it gets a little hinky in my book. They approve it by sending us an email that says that file XXXX.pdf is approved, and we never get back the copy we sent them for approval.

My opinion is that since we have a sales rep visiting them at least twice a month, if not more often, is that we should pick up the signed and approved copy for our records, since we all know that everybody will be pointing fingers at whose fault something is and we need to have a hard copy signed off in our records.

Opinions Please

You have customer's approval in the form of their email, which can be saved for your records.
If you need a proof for yourself, print a second one when you print customer's proof.
If your goal is customer satisfaction, do what works best for them, not you, unless absolutely necessary (as per your hypothetical, if it happens often, do something about it; if not, sounds like you're on your way to efficiency gains).
There's way too much CYA on a daily basis, which often infringes on our ability to improve processes.

We print 2 copies. Ship one and simultaneously send a link to an approval page (complete with a digital proof) and await response.
Approvals are digital. Unapproved returns to the process.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back