How do you handle the creation of layouts?

Skinflint

I have been in the business since 1980 and have primarily worked for one company. So, it's safe to say that I have learned one way of handling things.

My question is directed at job layouts. Who creates them? Do you still make custom layouts for jobs or do you draw from standards? Do you even create job layouts? I'm talking
about paper layouts that follow job ticket.

We have car's creat layouts for every job, only recently we stopped for products like business cards, letter heads, digital press products etc.

Basically, I'm questioning that maybe there is a better way.

If you're talking about mockups to show the designer where things go, I haven't seen those in 40 years. The designer figures that out; the CSRs don't know enough about that side of things to do that. We do have a final layout proof that follows the job ticket.

At our company Prepress creates the blank template with die lines, safe areas, bleed, and dimensions. The client's designer does the layout. Prepress just checks to make sure that whatever the designer did will actually print correctly on press.

When you say "layout", do you mean a thumbnail of the press sheet that shows number up, head direction, etc.?

Thanks,
pdf

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back