Esko or Kodak?

We have recently merged with a company that is Prinergy-centric. After they have seen what we can do in an ESKO environment, they are sold on ESKO in a commercial facility. We have been an ESKO workflow since it was Scope and Barco. We currently run Automation Engine 16 and impose with FastImpose 14. The flexibility that ESKO allows us is a big advantage over Prinergy (In our Environment, as I will not tell anyone that they are doing it wrong or that ours is better, because every facility is different) since we run very different work, as it is more one off type layouts and customer approvals on press. I can get a press back up and running after a customer alteration much quicker and I can alter and fix customer files faster in Packedge. Just my input in a very convoluted industry.

I would say a change over from Kodak would depend on your status at this moment, as in what versions are you using and do you have a SSL contract?
The problem with the big guns is that as as soon as you sign up your soul belongs to them, you may as well get Kodak or Esko or Fuji etc. tatooed on your forehead.

Esko user here. Deskpack mainly. If you already have an established, solid workflow, starting new will never be a less expensive alternative. You'll have quite a learning curve too. Deskpack is relatively simple in itself, but AE is very robust and deep. We only use a tiny fraction of its capability which was overkill in the purchase (it was here when I arrived).

I always make the joke...How do you get Esko sales to stop bothering you? Buy something from them. Granted, we're a mid sized, single plant, but I literally never hear from them. I do though pay them a generous price for a service contract each year.

While Esko offers a large amount of software and tools for prepress. They are geared more towards the packaging industry, and have moved further away from commercial print. As far as cost goes, you cannot ever put cost savings and Esko in the same sentence. Esko products are very, very expensive and the service contract to support said software is even higher. Their support is top notch, I can definitely attest to that.

Automation Engine is very robust, modular, powerful, and it can automate a bunch of things. But it has has been stated earlier, the learning curve is quite steep, but again, Esko support is fantastic in my experience. They offer free training workshops on their software, you just have to get to their facility on your dime (currently in Ohio)

I love their products, I'm just glad I don't have to foot the bill.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back